• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reidels- again!

kcd

Ladies and Gents

I love my Reidel glasses, but hate the cleaning issues. I know that there are things for the dishwasher, but I am not likely to get several, which is what would I need.

Some time ago there was a strand on the restaurant-grade Reidels. I understood from the postings that these were new, or "newish".

I was wondering if people are using them, and if so, how do they like them.

I do some informal catering for small and larger groups; families, clubs, etc. These groups usually can't afford "nice" wine and frequently aspire to "modest" wine.

I would like to be able to show the food and wine to its best with better glasses (then what was left in the clubhouse by the last caterer). I also do a fair amount of entertaining in my home. To that end, I would like to have a supply (a few dozen) of restaurant grade Reidels. IF they are worthy.

Where and how to get them is the challenge. I have called our local distributor, but since I don't have a "storefront", but do have a tax ID number, I haven't gotten far.

Is is worth this effort? Do you have any sources for the glasses?

kcd

" Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force."--Dorothy L. Sayers.

As someone who just turned 50, I look forward to this state-of-being.

kcd:

Lauber Imports has the Riedel glassware "franchise", to my knowledge. The commercial grade glasses are great. You can actually DRUM them on the table without damage. Of course, they aren't completely unbreakable - if dropped onto a hard floor from a high enough height they will break, or if flung against a brick wall, I'd imagine they'd break. However, they can take a lot of abuse and are commercial dishwasher safe, if they are racked properly.

I hope you don't have the misfortune of living in Pennsylvania. The PLCB just took over the Reidel glassware from Lauber here, raised prices by 50% and you have to go to the local "specialty" store to order, leave a deposit and then go pick them up :angry:, rather than simply calling your Lauber rep and having them delivered directly to you in a timely fashion. And of course since the PLCB employees are low level civil servants, they are CLUELESS when it comes to answering any questions you might have, or supplying a sample piece of glassware you might wish to bring to a Management meeting or whatever. I'm still waiting for a callback from them about that. :rolleyes:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just another thought ~ Libbey has a relatively new restaurant line called 'Vina' that mimics alot of the Riedel shapes. They should be available at your restaurant supplier to take a peek at (if they handle Libbey) and are very reasonable, price wise. They might be a workable alternative if you have problems obtaining the others.

the reidel restaurant series are EXACTLY the same shape as the Vinum series,but they are not lead crystal. the stems are not short as mark notes

and their balance is MUCH better. i'm the wholesaler in MD,DC and DE. and

i'm sending some samples to mark. we have over 50 restaurants in this region using the new series and they LOVE them. Riedel is releasing

next month a "magnum" glass in the restaurant series that will be sold

by wholesales at less thsn $3.50/stem!

the reidel restaurant series are EXACTLY the same shape as the Vinum series,but they are not lead crystal. the stems are not short as mark notes

i'm sending some samples to mark. we have over 50 restaurants in this region using the new series and they LOVE them. Riedel is releasing

Bugsy, my man- can you hook a sista' up???!!!??? I am forced to deal with the PLCB!! For EVERYTHING!!! Take pity on me, my brother! :biggrin:

I don't believe there's anything illegal about transporting or shipping glassware over state lines... :raz:

edited for lousy spelling and legalities

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wow, bugsy man, we must be friends already. I have a Parker event coming up that will require a thousand glasses. We should talk.

Mark

katie you don't know me but i'm john mantis of bacchus importers

www.bacchusimportersltd.com

410-633-0400...i'm sure riedel does not want me to ship out of my

contract area but you can pick them up at our warehouse in newark,DE

mark knows me well and i've asked shane to drop some samples...