• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosie On The Radio

Rosie

Ouch!! David--both Joan and Arthur are very sweet and down to earth. I spoke about restaurants in Somerville and other places both new and old that I could highly recommend. There was also an appraiser/auctioneer, owner of Lloyd's, and a representative from Flemington who showed us some great items that could be bought in the outlets. Will tell you more on Sunday. Hey--you could always have someone tape the show for you! :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Here's my take on Joan: she's a big phoney. She comes on as a consumer advocate but she's a shill for whoever the WOR advertising staff sells air time to. Now you could say that this is part of her job and I'd agree up to a point. However, I have knowledge from someone who worked at the WOR advertising department that their policy is to take an ad from anyone who pays for the time and to pull it only if there are complaints. This person, a relative actually, told me that it was hard to deal with Arthur because he wouldn't do an ad if he knew that the place wasn't up to his standards. Joan bills herself as a consumer advocate so when she reads ad copy she is, in effect, giving her endorsement to that advertiser. I think she's trying to have it both ways and I respect Arthur for trying to hold on to his intergrity.

BTW, I'm sure she's a lovely person and I'm glad that they put you on their show. Your success from way back in the *P days is an inspiration.

I spoke about restaurants in Somerville and other places both new and old that I could highly recommend. There was also an appraiser/auctioneer, owner of Lloyd's, and a representative from Flemington who showed us some great items that could be bought in the outlets. Will tell you more on Sunday.  Hey--you could always have someone tape the show for you! :biggrin:

OK, if you didn't listen or tape the show...

We attended the taping. Since we're both still looking for work, figured it was something different to do. :smile: There were at least 40 people crammed on all sorts of sofas and chairs, as well as on a nearby stairway.

One of the first things Arthur and Joan brought up were memories of the old Horn & Hardart, inspired (!) by a batch of macaroni & cheese, along with rice pudding, sent by (I'm guessing) the folks running the recently-opened member of the chain a block or so down from Lloyd's in Somerville.

Rosie's recommendations are all familiar names to most regular eGullet members:

Martino's

Origin

Fascino

Zoe's By the Lake

Aladdin

Verve

Ryland Inn Bistro

Xora

No. 9

Hamilton's Grill Room

Sergeantsville Inn

Harvest Moon Inn

Village Green

Yes, I wrote them down. :smile:

Nice to see you again, Rosie!

Rosie's recommendations are all familiar names to most regular eGullet members:

Martino's

Origin

Fascino

Zoe's By the Lake

Aladdin

Verve

Ryland Inn Bistro

Xora

No. 9

Hamilton's Grill Room

Sergeantsville Inn

Harvest Moon Inn

Village Green

Yes, I wrote them down. :smile:

Nice to see you again, Rosie!

No love from Rosie for Lou. :unsure:

Edited by Lreda (log)

Here's my take on Joan: she's a big phoney. She comes on as a consumer advocate but she's a shill for whoever the WOR advertising staff sells air time to.

Amen!! Her entire show seems like one big commercial! I guess it has made her successful, and the sponsors like it, but she is impossible to listen to without getting nauseated.

(She still might be a nice person)

Much the same can be said about Arthur; it's often hard to distinguishe between a legitimate restaurant review and a commercial. That being said, his breadth of knowledge is very impressive; on live call-in, I can't ever recall him being stumped or left at a loss for words or specific advice.