• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poisoned? Or Spoiled?

Maestro Difonte:

Of the illnesses and fatalities at the table you must have seen during your career, would you care to speculate about how many were actual assassination attempts and how many occurred due to foods that had been around too long and were far past their prime?

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I never saw any deaths due to spoiled food. Although the lords and ladies ate very well most of the servants did not and so they grabbed whatever leftovers they could. That sometimes included food that had been cooked too much or not enough as well as beaks and claws and hooves and other parts which were not served at the main table. These sometimes caused sickness, but I never saw any food around long enough to get spoiled.