• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pop’s Pierogi

NY News Team

As the weather gets cooler, diners look for more stick-to-your-ribs fare, and Pop’s Pierogi may have just the thing. Choose from blintzes and pierogi (dumplings) and pelmeny (ravioli) stuffed with ground beef or lamb or veal, potato, cabbage, cheese, or sour cherries – and served with the traditional toppings: a dollop of sour cream and oil & white vinegar. You won’t go thristy here, either. Unusual options include kompote (a stewed-fruit drink), kvas (made from fermented bread), and tarragon-flavored soda. – Eden Blum

Pop’s Pierogies

190 Bleeker St (between Sixth Ave and MacDougal St)

212-505-0055

Source: Time Out New York, week of September 4-11

eGullet.com NY News Team

nynews@egullet.org with press releases, news reports, and food-biz gossip

• 3 months later...

In the NYTimes today, Asimov reviews Pop's Pierogi in the West Village. I love well made pierogis, and ate them with some regularity at Teresa's when I lived in Brooklyn Heights. Except for maybe the Lower East Side, I expected to find these dumplings only in the outer boroughs. Has anyone been to Pop's yet? Are there other places to find good pierogis in Manhattan? I give this guy credit for opening a shop with a carbohydrate menu in the face of the Atkins revolution.

In the NYTimes today, Asimov reviews Pop's Pierogi in the West Village. I love well made pierogis, and ate them with some regularity at Teresa's when I lived in Brooklyn Heights. Except for maybe the Lower East Side, I expected to find these dumplings only in the outer boroughs. Has anyone been to Pop's yet?

Joe... this is a sign from above that we need to get a delegation together, head over to Pop's and sample the simple carbohydrates. :biggrin:

--