• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon

tjaehnigen

3/25/03

We had a 1999 Hess Select Cab last night. It was only OK. But you know what, I enjoyed it. I think I really enjoyed it since it's been about three weeks or so since I last had some vino.

I'd splash decanted it and we started drinking it about 15 minutes later. Drank out of Spiegelau Bordeaux stems. Thin wispy, runny legs and medium to light-dark color. The nose was really quite nice -- really deep forest flowers & warm mixed fruit jelly -- but this blew off about 10 minutes later (sadly). It was a little thin for my tastes and lacked the polish I look for in a cab. Decent enough varied fruits, mostly dominated by simple currants and blackberries. Finish was a little shorter than I'd originally hoped for, but what I came to expect as I tasted the wine.

I'd bought this to fill out a case last summer while at the beach, I believe. I'd rate this a solid 82-3 points. It's a good wine, but there is nothing special. Had the nose stayed longer or had the finish been better or had it been a little more mouth-coating, I'd have rated it into the next bracket (85-89 range). I think I paid like $15-20 for this, but I am really not sure.