• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kakigori

torakris

• 1 year later...
some of the fancier ones seen in restaurants:

http://www.lookpage.co.jp/topics/no020807/

here is one for those who can't decide:

http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/Tyobitto/DSCF00151.jpg

the matcha syrup that they use at those shops are positively intense looking. delectable (in particular the one at 月ヶ瀬). i think matcha syrup is sold here too, but i dont know if it would look as dark and pleasing as what these places seem to use.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite Korean cafes in the area recently went out of business (makes me feel obscurely guilty for cooking at home so much :unsure: ) and so now nobody in town makes pat-bing-soo anymore. The way they made it involved shaved ice on the bottom, red bean paste next, fruits and little tiny chewy-mochi-squares next, and ice cream on top, sometimes with chocolate or strawberry or coffee flavored syrup on top, and it was the sort of thing you got one of and shared with the whole table.

It seems to be essentially identical to a Filipino dessert by a different name but with the same set of layers, and I was wondering if Japanese families did something like it too, since my host mom's 5-year-old's favorite dessert was "kakigoori" (shaved ice with something on it, in his case typically sweetened condensed milk).

Then I discovered that there's an established version of kakigoori with red bean paste on it, called kintoki-kakigoori, which seemed like a kind of "partial pat-bing-soo."

Is there a direct equivalent of pat-bing-soo in the Japanese dessert lexicon, or do they typically save all the frills for specifically ice-cream-parfait desserts rather than shaved-ice desserts? I've seen some elaborately decorated ice cream in some excruciatingly pink girly-ice-cream shops in Osaka, including more uses for corn flakes than I ever imagined -- but I never spotted the shaved-ice kind...

I don't remember if they called it by a special name, but I had kakigouri in the style of fruits anmitsu in a small shop in Takayama. The shaved ice was under all the other stuff, and I think there was a scoop of ice cream.

Ice cream anmitsu (cream anmitsu) usually includes a bit of fruit, some kind of ice cream, and black sugar syrup or simple syrup. It's not exactly layered but kind of composed. The Takayama shop I visited served something like this with kakigouri underneath, with varying levels of complexity.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I don't eat kakigori out much as it gets expensive when you are feeding 5 people... :sad: I have seen some pretty fancy versions but I don't think I have ever seen them as layered as the korean versions.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 year later...

Yes, I do realize it is January but I just got around to pulling these off my cell phone...

gallery_6134_4148_1410.jpg

gallery_6134_4148_12228.jpg

gallery_6134_4148_21810.jpg

and with a little help from mom and dad they did manage to finish those! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"