• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montecristo

Pierre

I missed a local tasting party for Montecristo as I was on a trip. I understand that its pretty good stuff.

But my question is: "Who produces the rum that goes into this blend?" What distilleries produce the rum? Where are they located and who owns them?

I have been a Scotch drinker for a lot longer than I have been a Rum drinker. If a new Scotch blend came out that cost MORE than the single malts, I'd want to know which single malts were going into the new blend.

What corporation owns the Montecristo Rum name? Does that same corporation also own the distilleries that are the component rums that go into Montecristo?

Pierre

Texas

Montecristo is made by Licorera Zacapaneca in Guatemala, the same guys who make Ron Zacapa and Ron Botran.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Montecristo Label is registered in the states to Montecristo Rum, they are a Las Vegas company that is buying their blended rum from the Botran distillery but don't own any of that distillery in Guatemala.

I'm told that it's a blend of rums at least 12 years old.

I like it for the slight coffee and berry taste. Montecristo is marketing it as a mixing rum but at $30 a bottle I prefer to drink it straight.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

So, basically, Montecristo is just a blend of Botran and Zacapaneca Rums. Great! Piece a' cake.

Are these far different from the fairly easy to find Flor de Cana? I sure enjoy the Grand Reserve 7 Year Old. And its a heck of a lot cheaper than what their asking for the Montecristo.

Coffee notes... Hmmm. Come to think of it, I've never had coffee with a cigar. But I've had many different rums, ports, scotches, and bourbons with cigars. I can't think of one that wasn't a good complement to a cigar. So, coffee notes... What the hey!

Pierre

Texas

Hi Pierre

I have the Flor de Cana 7yr and a few rums from Licorera Zacapaneca (Botran, Montecristo, Zacapa). After reading your comment my immediate reaction was think that Zacapaneca rums were my preference, but I went home and tasted them all together, out of curiosity. When side by side, the rich and smooth Zacapa is a hands down favourite for me (indeed many in this chat room sing praises for this rum), and to tell you the truth I still prefer the Montecristo and even Botran over the Flor, which isn't as smooth (although my girlfriend disagrees - but she is a BIG fan of Flor de Cana!!).

No doubt all are fine rums. I'd say maybe the Montecristo is a little overpriced (you may as well buy Zacapa), but the Botran is one of the best bargains and most underrated rums you can find - well balanced and smooth. It's worth the search for all of them!!

Dan