• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barolo il Cheapo?

Jason Perlow

Found and bought 2 barolos today at a local mom and pop liquor store in NJ, both under $30.

DOMUS VINI "VETUS" BAROLO DOCG 1996, $29.99

BENI DI BATASIOLO BAROLO DOCG 1996, $28.99

Rip off or grab some more?

Same guy was selling Rheingau Spatlese 1997 reislings for $6.99 and Beerenauslese 1999 dessert wines for $14.99 .. picked up some of those too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In my view, 1996 will stand among the greatest vintages for Barolo of the twentieth century. That said, Domus is probably what you would expect for that price, from a bulk producer with no pedigree. Beni di Batasiolo, on the other hand, has made some solid, tasty and even highly rated wines in the great vintages (but not otherwise, for some reason). I would spring for a bottle of it, see how you like it, and get more if it does the trick. You probably ought to decant it for at least several hours, as most 1996 Baroli are seriously structured, long-agers and not showing a lot now. But other than that, I have no opinion on the subject.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

I have not had the vetus but have had there "Vigneto Corda della Briccolina" bt Beni and found it excellent,although not really ready(I was at a tasting)

Like said before me,give it a try,it might be very nice & at 29.99 seems like a fair deal.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Also picked up a Michele Chiarlo 1997 Barolo a few days ago at Total Wine for $32.00. I liked their Barbera, so I figured I would try their Barolo. Any comments on this one?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Chiarlo makes good solid wine. Not great, but they represent the DOC's well making clean and honestly made wines. $32 for Barolo is a good price. I think 97's should be consumed young (5+ years old is young for Barolo) and you can be sure that Chiarlo made this wine in a forward style.

Found and bought 2 barolos today at a local mom and pop liquor store in NJ, both under $30.

Did you taste them yet? You tell us if it is a rip-off.

Mark

Did you taste them yet? You tell us if it is a rip-off.

Nope. Haven't tried any of them yet.