• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodmart International

It really is there, and the Web site I linked to above has very good directions plus a map. There are also quite a few other stores in the complex.

Those familiar with Foodmart International will immediately recognize the setup. The towers of products (though still being set up):

foodmart1.jpg

The mega-seafood tanks (let's hope they keep these in better condition than the JC location did):

foodmart3.jpg

The butchers are working but the meat department is only about half set up -- they expect to be fully functional within a week or so:

foodmart2.jpg

The store isn't as big as JC, but it has a similar inventory -- I don't think there ever was a real reason to have so much space devoted to the store; the result was too much elderly stuff on the shelves. Maybe this somewhat smaller (though still huge) format will improve turnover.

Some of my favorite things at FMI are non-food items. Found some nice FMI mugs:

foodmart4.jpg

Also some excellent Jesus memorabilia:

foodmart5.jpg

And this great cleaning product, "Latin Clean":

foodmart6.jpg

I guess this guy here is the Latin Mr. Clean:

foodmart7.jpg

That's all for now:

foodmart8.jpg

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)