• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tao

lamb

I'm out at Tao on Thursday, 6/5 on a company tab. It will be a fun dinner with some ex employees and we'll talk about people still in our employ.

Any dinner suggestions?

yeah, the "kobe" beef is fun. but i don't think it's the best way to enjoy kobe beef (on a hot rock). the regular steak is fine for this dish.

their sushi/sashimi has always been very good. also, their version of the chinese dish of minced meat, waterchestnuts, and some other stuff, wrapped in lettuce, is pretty good, and again, fun.

also, their version of the chinese dish of minced meat, waterchestnuts, and some other stuff, wrapped in lettuce, is pretty good, and again, fun.

that sounds good in a Pf Chang sort of way... :smile:

I believe they used to have a wasabi encrusted Filet Mignon of your not going the Kobe route.  I enjoyed that, with alot of Sake.

Msk

Yum - that one sounds right up my alley!

Thanks to all for the suggestions - if I'm coherent on Friday I'll let you know what the choices were. There will probably be about 8 of us and we will be hitting the bar first. It's gonna be a long night.

The hubby is on soccer and homework duty tonight!

• 2 years later...

As mentioned in my coming to america thread, I am going to attempt to review the 8 or so restaurants I did in 5 days whilst in your sunny (& humid) neck of the woods.

I thought I would get the short one out of the way first.

Lets start with NY, most people had comments before I left, and I can only say with only a couple of exception I have never been to such a hospitable city, granted I have chef friends there who looked after us like kings, but everyone I came accross whom I needed assistance from did so outstandingly, so as a collective city I can only say "thanks".

now Tao, we sat for beer waiting for a fried to finish work, (head chef of Rosa on lincoln centre), the staff are purely hired for their looks so the bar gets a big thumbs up from me, plus the prices were much more resonable than the upper east side where I was staying.

we moved into the restaurant and left the ordering to our friend, I would love now to go into a rendition of the 8 or so plates my friend odered for us to share, but with the exception of a chilean seabass skewer thingy with asparagus (which was rather good), I am buggered if I can really remember anything else.

Yeah, we had a tuna thing (bland)

duck rice (sorry my local chinese does better egg fried rice)

poulet noodle thing (tasty but I think they used a rubber chicken)

erm........................erm.

oh yes, the bill was $200 for 3, not bad for it's location but wish I had spent it somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, the food on the whole was ok, but after travveling a quarter of the planet was hoping for a little more than ok.

next stops in my writin over the next couple of days will be (in no particular order), WD50, Balthazar, Aquavit (cafe and fine dining), Riingo, TGI ( i know but in comparison to the uk, better), Union square, and more.

hope you don't get too bored of my stories but wait for the Wd one cos the journey just to get there was an adventure in itself.

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

I know, but as I work in a London hotel, our bar is quite a big part of our business and I wanted to see what was special about a bar I had heard took revenue of up to $500,000 a week, you cannot doubt the success of the place even if it is culinarily bland.

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

now Tao, we sat for beer waiting for a fried to finish work, (head chef of Rosa on lincoln centre), the staff are purely hired for their looks so the bar gets a big thumbs up from me, plus the prices were much more resonable than the upper east side where I was staying.

I guess you discovered the secret of their success :laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I guess you discovered the secret of their success :laugh:

Yup. Tao is all about the bar.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007