• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xavier's is not Xaviars

After reading the Xaviar's in Yonkers thread in the NY forum, I wanted to post about this here, too. Here's a link to an article by Pat Mack of The Record, Names are too close for comfort. About how a new Italian/Continental with the usual dishes has opened in West Paterson, it is called Xavier's and is owned by Tito Xavier Freire. It is not at all related to Peter Xaviar Kelly's Xaviars in Piermont, late of Garrison, and possibly upcoming in Yonkers.

So, has anyone been to Xavier's?

How do we feel about an Italian joint being named similarly* to a celebrated establishment?

* The article points out that Peter Kelly can't really do anything about it because the names are spelled differently and they are in different states, and it is the new guys name, too.

How do we feel about an Italian joint being named similarly* to a celebrated establishment?

It's not lke every pizza place in NY and NJ is named Ray's, or Famous Ray's, or Original Ray's, or Original Famous Ray's, is it?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Xaviars not Xaviar's. I think, I haven't seen the paper. The one with the apostrophe is spelled with an e.

don't know about that.

xaviar's (piermont). "a" and apostrophe. his name, however, is spelled xavier, as opposed to xaviar, which that mack article suggests (at least, according to their website.)

Edited by tommy (log)

I think there's some confusion. In the sign it is spelled w/out the apostrophe, the text on the website uses the apostrophe. I was going by Pat Mack's article (linked in my first post).

i don't think Mack is right is what i'm saying. signs are often a little more lax than written language when it comes to apostrophes and whatnot. the verbiage on their website has an apostrophe and *also* spells his name differently than Mack.

This isn't gonna become another 47 page bashing of the Record's reviews, is it? They've had a pass for many weeks now

--if they spell the name of the place incorrectly, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the article, does it?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Where did she spell it wrong (besides the apostrophe)?

Mack:

The established restaurant is Xaviars in Piermont, N.Y., the highly rated, sophisticated restaurant created by Peter Xaviar Kelly.

xaviar's website:

For the past 20 years Peter Xavier Kelly's Restaurants have set the standard for culinary excellence in the suburbs above Manhattan.

as i suggest, i don't know if she's *wrong*. but i do know that the website has a different spelling.

i can't read this thread anymore. now i'm confusing myself. i'll let Mack and the other readers worry about it.

The NJ section of the Times has a Sunday review of this Rockland County restaurant. Excellent, mentions the no credit cards rule

David Corcoran makes the same distinction:

Peter Xavier Kelley (the person) with a E

Xaviar's (the restaurant) with an A and an apostrophe

Xaviars (the website) with an A, no apostrophe

Corcoran tends to be pretty detailed about his fact checking from what I've observed

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

rancho gordo

Actually, the restaurant is Xaviars at Piermont, without the apostrophe.

Peter Kelly took the time to answer my email, here's part of his response:

The Restaurant is:  "Xaviars at Piermont"

My name is :   "Peter Xavier Kelly"

The spelling difference is a long and silly story that I will not bother you with.

Peter Xavier Kelly

One of the most misused punctuation marks in english is the apostrophe. The distinction comes as to whether the meaning is plural, or possession. The plural should NEVER have an apostrophe.

A sign seen all too often on restaurants is "Closed Monday's" , or, "Soup's of the Day" (As bad as nukular).

• 1 year later...
One of the most misused punctuation marks in english is the apostrophe. The distinction comes as to whether the meaning is plural, or possession. The plural should NEVER have an apostrophe.

A sign seen all too often on restaurants is "Closed Monday's" , or, "Soup's of the Day" (As bad as nukular).

Agreed.

And the logical implication is that there is a group of people named Xaviar involved in this place in Piermont.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

why the heck would anyone investing their own money open a run of the mill italian restaurant in northern NJ?!?

Because most of these awful places are cash cows. There is one on almost every corner, and people line up to get in, just like every Charlie Brown's I pass always has a line. (Some of the WORST food in creation)