• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uncle Nick's

Pan

I and a friend went to Uncle Nick's on 9th Av. between 50th and 51st Sts. this evening. We got the mixed cold dips, which consisted of superior melitzanosalata, very garlicky mashed potatoes, pleasant tzatziki, and taramosalata (which isn't my favorite thing), each separated from the other with an average-quality tomato slice and topped by a good olive.

For mains, we both got specials. He got broiled Chilean sea bass and I got broiled calamari. The sea bass was good but we both agreed that the calamari was better. I find that calamari is usually mostly a texture and doesn't usually have much taste, but this calamari was delicious! The bodies had a type of natural sweetness inside and the tentacles were tender. And of course it was completely fresh, and perfectly broiled. It came with a side of pleasant garlic potatoes, and my friend got a substitution of a mixed vegetables side that he liked very much (I didn't try it).

So why don't I plan to return for more good food? Because the wait staff were unwilling to wait until we were finished eating before trying repeatedly to take our food away. The first time, our waiter began to say something and then said "excuse me" when my friend continued eating his vegetables. (My friend's comment, from previous experience: Now is when they start trying to pressure us to leave.) Within then next 5 minutes or less, he came back and asked whether we were done or "still working on that," and I told him in a scolding tone to give us time to eat. It couldn't have been two minutes later that a busboy asked whether we were still eating, in a posture of getting ready to pounce. At that point, my mild-mannered Minnesotan friend told him off in no uncertain terms. The manager, who overheard that conversation, apologized to us.

We left a tip of less than 7% and I told the manager essentially what I'm telling you: That the food is very good but I'm reluctant to return because they badger their customers to leave and that this will eventually cost them business. He claimed he agreed with me and had already talked to "the guys," but my friend said it had been the same the last time he was there, so as far as I'm concerned, they can go screw themselves.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was there at 6 P.M., Mikey. It was in fact a pre-performance dinner. We went to Carnegie Hall last night for a literally awesome performance of the Berlioz Requiem. During the Tuba Mirum, it almost felt like the Earth was truly being shaken to its foundations.

Michael aka "Pan"

Lucky you, Pan. Lots of Berlioz concerts this year in celebration of his bi-centennial.

Yep, Uncle Nick's gets pretty busy around 6 PM. I go there for pre-NYPhilly dinners when I have a craving for fish and don't want to break the bank. The service can be uneven, although I think they're well intentioned.

Mikey:

We can talk more about Berlioz by PM or email if you like. I love Berlioz.

But another question about the Ouzeria (and this is for anyone): Is it an annex to Uncle Nick's or otherwise owned or run by the same people?

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't dined at Uncle Nicks in a number of months. I always went for the food, not the service, though I was never rushed as you were. This must be a recently-adopted policy. I would be just as angry if it happened to me as you decribed. The cold dips were a favorite of mine, particularly the skordalia, and I've never had a bad piece of fish there. You have me curious to try the place again (perhaps the opposite of your intention) just to see if I am given the bum's rush.

Re: Hector Berlioz - I cannot stress enough how important this man was to the developement of the modern symphony orchestra. Because of his scorings, modern orchestras look and sound the way they do, and are the size they currently are. He was influenced by Beethoven, and you can hear this in much of his music, but he went off on musical tangents Beethoven probably never even dreamed of. As far as I'm concerned he is the 4th "B" after Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms.

• 3 months later...

I used to work across the street from Nicks. I went a lot for lunch. The service is terrible and slow. Whenever I ordered, and usually I just got a gyro plate, I always told them that I was in a rush. How long does it take to slice some meat from the spit?

• 2 years later...

went to uncle nicks on saturday afternoon. Was one of the best meals we had in along time.

started off with a mixed grill appetizer which has an assortment of lightly fried eggplant,zucchini, and peppers with skordalia (potatoes and garlic). main entrees where grilled halibut(perfectly cooked in wine and lemon) and a whole flounder.This was one of the best flounders i have ever eaten. I usually find flounder to be on the mushy side but the meat on this fish was cooked to perfection. We shared a baklava for desert along with greek coffee.

tom