• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Napa in the Negev"

Pan

To extend this a bit, geographically: I saw a wine list entry over the weekend at NoMI in Chicago for a red from the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. It wasn't offered by the glass, and the meal didn't really offer an opportunity to sample it.

Anybody had wines from the area? Any good?

:smile:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Interesting. Grapes when left alone grow much like weeds, particularly in places where there are ideal temperatures, soil conditions, adequate rain or irrigation, etc. I wonder how many of these factors the kibbutz vineyard has going for it, and whether they're getting quantity or quality out of the harvest.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

To extend this a bit, geographically:  I saw a wine list entry over the weekend at NoMI in Chicago for a red from the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon.  It wasn't offered by the glass, and the meal didn't really offer an opportunity to sample it. 

Anybody had wines from the area?  Any good?

:smile:

I've had the wines from Chateau Musarand Chateau Kefraya. Both produce somewhat unque wines. I happen to enjoy the wines of Musar very much. They are bold somewhat fruit driven wines with a character all their own Both the reds and the whites are good and reasonably priced. The second label for Musar, Hochar is a particularly good value at around $18. The regular Musar retails from about $30-40 depending on the store and the vintage.

I had dinner with Serge Hochar, the President of Chateau Musar last fall. He is a very entertaining man with lots of interesting stories of making wines through the Lebanese civil war and beyond.

I will say that most people who try Musar either become big fans or don't like it. I don't know anyone on the middle ground.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am definitely in the "big fan" camp. I've tasted Musar across a number of vintages and come away with a great deal of respect for its consistency and longevity. Unfortunately, it's not the bargain it once was, and it very rarely appears on restaurant wine lists (a real shame, since it is an ideal restaurant wine in many respects).

Wasn't even aware that there was a second label, so thanks for the tip - I will certainly be on the lookout for that :biggrin:.

Edited by Robin Meredith (log)

Indeed Mr. Remak's wine from Sde Boker is a fine example of changes happening in the southern desert of Israel. Personally I liked the Merlot better and had bought some bottles in my last visit there. (At the time it was about 75 Shekels = $15)

I spoke to Mr. Remak few weeks ago at the Israeli wine show, and thought they could do much better, marketing wise, if they could use the logo, face or photo of our late PM Mr. Ben Gurion on the wine, (people who visit the kibbutz usually come to visit Ben Gurion's house in the kibbutz is) on the way from the parking lot to the house there are olive trees, not vines as yet.

It may be the first winery in the region, but not the first vineyard, there are a few of them along the way from Beer-Sheba to Mitzpe – Ramon, as well as some farms that produce goat cheese. Spring time in the desert is even better after the rainy winter we had.

(and if someone decides to surprise me and hop over to Tel Aviv for some Mid-East wine tasting , don’t worry, I have a couple of Château Musar as well…)

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

At a wine tasting last week I offered Massaya Selection 1999 from the Tanail Estate in the Bekaa Valley owned by the Ghosn family (around $18/bottle) which seemed to go down quite well. Let us not forget the Romans built a temple to Bacchus in the Bekaa Valley so it has a long history of wine.

Edited by britcook (log)