• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TVP

Schielke

What are some of the ways that you enjoy TVP? 

Dont get me wrong, I am perfectly open to accepting it as something good to eat.  If you look at my original post, I asked there was a good use for the stuff or if I ran across a poor example. 

Do you look forward to a nice helping of TVP?  How do you like to prepare it?

Ben

TVP is great for dishes calling for ground beef, that involve tomato sauces. It's great in chili, spaghetti sauce, shepherd's pie, etc. I substitute it for part of the ground beef in recipes, after rehydrating it in hot water first. I use it because my husband won't eat meatless spaghetti or chili, and I want to get his LDL down and HDL up, so... TVP it is. He doesn't like vegetarian dishes in general. When I prepare them, he'll eat it, and then scrounge around for "meat". I don't like using ground chicken or ground turkey because I really hate the smell of it when it's cooking up.

The Boca sausages in my freezer are made from soy protein isolate. Don't know what that is exactly-- it sounds like soybeans that sit alone in a cabin, muttering about the Freemasons-- or if it's related to TVP. But the sausages taste pretty good.

• 4 months later...
The Boca sausages in my freezer are made from soy protein isolate.  Don't know what that is exactly-- it sounds like soybeans that sit alone in a cabin, muttering about the Freemasons-- or if it's related to TVP.  But the sausages taste pretty good.

okay drew,

only part i don't get is the freemasons and cabin parts.

why can't the soy and protein be sitting alone on a boat? in a dark sub-basement of an office building? on top of the empire state building?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I like Miracle Whip

As long as we're talking about unnatural food products, I must admit to a weakness for Velveeta Grilled Cheese sandwiches like Grandma used to make. It also sometimes toss it in my wife's cheese/brocolli soup as a thickener when she's not looking. :unsure: