• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony's Di Napoli

mikestan21

I used to live half a block away from the uptown location, and I ate there exactly twice. I can vaguely see how it might be fun with a big group, especially in warm weather, since they have an extensive outdoor dining area. The food, however, is at the B/B- level even by suburban Italian standards, and despite the apparent "value" of the large portions and family style service, it ain't exactly cheap - I recall spending $80+ for two people with a mediocre bottle of wine and no dessert, and feeling like it might have been a good value at $45.

The place is just phenomenally popular, and must be an absolute money machine for the owners, so what do I know?

This is the place at 83 and 2nd? (Ish.) I agree with FG, and prefer Carmines. Tony's is a tad more formal, but for that food, I'd rather be in Carmine's raucous dining room. And eating their calamari.

while agreeing with the above, tony's is the default red sauce italian that my brother and i order in from when uptown and in the mood for this type of food.. easily beats out the local pizza places for shrimp parm, chicken parm, etc.. their fried calamari is fine, and it's nice to get a big tray full of shrimp parm, and pop it right into the oven in the aluminum steam trays that they deliver the food in..

It's been awhile since I lived in that neighborhood, but they had a seafood pasta special for two that ran one day during the week (Tuesday or Wednesday). It came with a lobster, and a boatload of shrimp, clams, mussels, and scallops in red sauce. The total was like $34 bucks or something - a pretty good deal for the amount of seafood. But I agree with the above posts - nothing special - typical Italian American joint, but louder.

johnjohn