• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quilceda Creek

GordonCooks

• 1 month later...

T.N.

1999 Quilceda Creek Red

Unexpected nose of Barnyard and leather in addition to sweet black fruit. Big, gelatinous texture and slides down the throat. Loads of ripe fruit and tannin in the powerhouse. Don't wait with a wine this approachable - drink it now.

1999 Quilceda Creek Cabernet

Similiar nose but not as Bretty with more noticeable wood. Tasted even bigger than the Red with firmer tannin and immense structure. Seemed to have a more pronounced cherry flavor. Should be a show-stopper in years to come (if you can keep your hands off it)

Father and son Golitzin are talented winemakers. My experience is that these wines are not at their best upon release and are definitely not fruit bombs. They show a lot of structure and age very well. I wish I had some of the '89 reserve in my cellar. :sad:

Father and son Golitzin are talented winemakers.  My experience is that these wines are not at their best upon release and are definitely not fruit bombs.  They show a lot of structure and age very well.    I wish I had some of the '89 reserve in my cellar.  :sad:

Absolutely - I know the Cabernet grapes used in the two wines were slightly different (as far as vineyard) but I rememeber reading something about the wine-making process I thought.

I should note that both wines were decanted prior to tasting

Edited by GordonCooks (log)