• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liberacion Rum - Cuba

Dave Wiley

Here's a technical question for the experts. I've got a few bottles of Liberacion Rum, purchased from Europe, labelled in Spanish. I have noticed that these do not have any type of tamper-proof seal. This really isn't an issue for me, but I've sent one of these bottles to a friend as part of a trade and he is upset that I sent him an "open bottle".

Can anyone confirm that this is normal for Liberacion?

I checked my Liberacion 15 yo bottle yesterday. There is a seal but you can only see it after the bottle was opened. The upper part of the cap is fixed at three tiny spots at the lower part which remains at the bottle.

But from the outside it is impossible to see if the bottle has already been opened (does not make very much sense, does it?).

The only way to check is to open the bottle very slowly and carefully and listen if the seal brakes.

Markus