• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oregon Pinot Noir

coolhandluke

Just had a 99 vintage Adelsheim Bryan Creek Vineyard last night with my dinner. Killer single vineyard pinot - trying to think of something memorable to cook with a 99 Shea Vineyard Ken Wright. Anyone have any other pinot noirs from Oregon that I must try. The Ken Wright has always been great, but does a bit of damage to my wallet.

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

Panther Creek Bednarik Vineyard is excellent. King Estate Reserve also great. Chehalem Ridgecrest 2000 single vineyard is showing very nicely right now. Argyle, Rex Hill, Elk Cove - It's all good from Willamette (dammit!) and Rogue Valley. Foris Vineyards does a very reasonable Pinot Noir blended from various blocks as well as the Maple Ranch Pinot Noir which comes from a separate parcel of land they own. Their "Fly Over Red" is one of my favorite inexpensive by-the-glass pours. An Oregonian Bordeaux blend aged in French oak. At about $14.00/bottle it's a steal. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

In the early days of Oregon Pinot my favorites were Bethel Hieghts, Erath and Rex Hill Marsh vineyard. I remember all these wines being very nice in the 83 and 85 vintages. Are these wines still worth finding? I have had Rex Hill recently and found it a bit spotty.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

St. Innocent is by far my fave Oregon producer....not as oaky, not as overextracted, well balanced and age well...and, extra-plus, their 1996s and 1997s are excellent efforts in relatively poor vintages....

Jake

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Which vineyard of the St Innocent did you like most? I've had the Freedom Hill vineyard, but have yet to try the Shea. Freedom Hill was a great representation of Oregon Pinot, although there are better finds out there for sure. :blink:

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

Which vineyard of the St Innocent did you like most?  I've had the Freedom Hill vineyard, but have yet to try the Shea.  Freedom Hill was a great representation of Oregon Pinot, although there are better finds out there for sure. :blink:

My fave is the seven springs, which is not as froooty as some of the others. The Shea is good, but chunky.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Regarding Argyle, you might want to have a look at our Webzine profile of winemaker Rollin Soles and the discussion threads that follow.

Another favorite producer is Sokol Blosser. It's a love-it-or-hate-it style, though.

Regarding Foris, while I think there's some good stuff coming out of there, the pinot isn't really in the same league as what's coming from the northern producers. You should get on Ted's newsletter mailing list, though. It's good reading.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)