• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I have only ever bought canned clams once in my life and regretted it. I wouldn't say they were tasteless but  what taste they had was deeply unpleasant.

I can't recall why I bought the damned things in the first place - must have been a massive brain fart! Every market and supermarket sells at least five and up to ten different types of live clams.

Against my better judgement the 28oz can of whole baby clams was like $5USD at my local restaurant depot. To be fair, they did not taste "unpleasant" But they tasted bland. I salvaged the dish with anchovies and added a few tsp of Minors clam base. 

I now know better then to use any canned clams that do not list "ocean" or "sea" clams for future reference.

FeChef

FeChef

52 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I have only ever bought canned clams once in my life and regretted it. I wouldn't say they were tasteless but  what taste they had was deeply unpleasant.

I can't recall why I bought the damned things in the first place - must have been a massive brain fart! Every market and supermarket sells at least five and up to ten different types of live clams.

Against my better judgement the 28oz can of whole baby clams was like $5USD at my local restaurant depot. To be fair, they did not taste "unpleasant" But the tasted bland. I salvaged the dish with anchovies and  adding a few tsp of Minors clam base. 

I know better then to use any canned clams that do not list "ocean" or "sea" clams for future reference.