• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miso

liuzhou

I had just bought a new jar of white miso when this article popped up on the Guardian this morning extolling the delights of miso in its many forms. Titled "The miso miracle: how to use the ingredient that makes every dish delicious", there's little new for the already converted, but makes a good read just the same.

miso.thumb.jpg.38f299e8e519a48cdc73b3f86379048a.jpg

It is easily available here in all its traditional forms. Not surprising really - it originated in China and was carried to Japan in the 6th century CE.  Unfortunately, I've never found dried bonito, katsuobushi (かつおぶし 鰹節) here and the supply I smuggled back from Japan a while ago is long gone. I can buy powdered dashi soup mix, but I have standards*!

I do use the miso in western and Chinese dishes, though. Especially stir-fries and soups. it is the secret ingredient in my mushrom and seaweed soup which some of my Chinese friends ask me to make.

*Actually, some a few are surprisingly good for what they are.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto