• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Doing some local walks today to 2 villages in opposite directions. Streets are so crazy steep everywhere in the villages it's not really a good idea but we still want to do it. We can see more by walking. You don't usually see villagers walking up and down these steep streets to exercise or for fun. They all drive or being driven.

DIY wheel choke. I can imagine you also need regular brake maintenance here.
S7AqTy4.jpg

A steep drop behind the palm trees. There's a house behind the big tree, no neighbours.
7QbZkQo.jpg

There are a few abandoned houses/vineyards/vehicles around. A rusty classic Rand Rover. A quick search tells me Santana was around in the 80's.
lEqXZJj.jpg

2LiEDzH.jpg

It's quite OK that garden plants lean into the walking paths or road here. In some countries you might be told by your neighbours or the municipality to do something about it.
eWJwuFU.jpg

This interesting tree and its flowers or seeds.
1Jge9iv.jpg

Growing fruits and vegs like bananas and squashes in own gardens is normal on these islands. I just never can tell the types of squashes.
zCOohrR.jpg

Some houses are far away from the street. You don't see the houses anywhere nearby but you see letterboxes.
7swWjc0.jpg

oeSAg3y.jpg

It's a long way down and steep. You are looking at banana plantations (some have covers) and a huge hotel complex with multiple outdoor pools.
D0El7IJ.jpg

If comes down to fruits and flowers then Madeira wins big time. But then again, it's not for nothing Madeira is known as "flower island" or "flower garden in the ocean". But, I don't remember seeing these eye-catching aloe blooms on Madeira. Like most big flowers here, this is buzzing with bees.
ZwN08vC.jpg

A few steps from my lodging
gmwoBcm.jpg

Back at mi casita for a break and lunch. Pan de jamon, filled with smoked ham, olives, raisins and cheese.

HnS6kBK.jpg

psECoJK.jpg

Available in the last week of December only.
qyTYqD1.jpg

After a rest and lunch we walk to another village but most of the photos in the second set are taken in my base village en route. Bird of paradise are super common on Madeira, here they are a bit rare.
LcXUmE9.jpg

Firm exterior and unopen, like a capsule, you can see moisture inside.
XxrRmfW.jpg

Volcanic Malvasia grapes. This part of the island grows the most Malvasia. However, it's the first time seeing them still on the vines here so far. As if the harvester had left them behind on purpose.
iwMYKpt.jpg

Another uncommon sight: vertical rows of vines. It does exist after all, on my street no less.
KI6qe5c.jpg

La Palma (LP) motorway number/code and vertical rows of vines. (Also on my street.)
6fl3UQY.jpg

Big La Palma style houses amongst the vineyards.
CsESNwi.jpg

We walk to the next village using this volcano route. No new photos as we have done a walk to this volcano the other day.
8HYyHKr.jpg

On Lanzarote every municipality has its own style of bus stop. On La Palma they are all the same. Volcanic rock construction with La Palma style tile roof.
hUIinuC.jpg

Check out this genius' own vineyard on his/her shed roof(s).
egFfqZf.jpg

Seen from the side.
xD7lbGV.jpg

All white house, unoccupied.
hjq2ONG.jpg

I couldn't have picked a better island (to walk), a better village, and a better lodging. Some locals stick their hand out the car window to give us a thumb up as we walk slowly up these steep streets. This is the kind of steep streets we walk up and down every day. You only see the sea from some distance away because the incline is stupid steep.
YoshmQW.jpg

U8H6762.jpg

XspEYPa.jpg

Zvnza6w.jpg

A simple dinner when we are back at the lodging. Beef with potatoes and roasted vegetables.
ldW81UM.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Doing some local walks today to 2 villages in opposite directions. Streets are so crazy steep everywhere in the villages it's not really a good idea but we still want to do it. We can see more by walking. You don't usually see villagers walking up and down these steep streets to exercise or for fun. They all drive or being driven.

DIY wheel choke. I can imagine you also need regular break maintenance here.
S7AqTy4.jpg

A steep drop behind the palm trees. There's a house behind the big tree, no neighbours.
7QbZkQo.jpg

There are a few abandoned houses/vineyards/vehicles around. A rusty classic Rand Rover. A quick search tells me Santana was around in the 80's.
lEqXZJj.jpg

2LiEDzH.jpg

It's quite OK that garden plants lean into the walking paths or road here. In some countries you might be told by your neighbours or the municipality to do something about it.
eWJwuFU.jpg

1Jge9iv.jpg

Growing fruits and vegs like bananas and squashes in own gardens is normal on these islands. I just never can tell the types of squashes.
zCOohrR.jpg

Some houses are far away from the street. You don't see the houses anywhere nearby but you see letterboxes.
7swWjc0.jpg

oeSAg3y.jpg

It's a long way down and steep. You are looking at banana plantations (some have covers) and a huge hotel complex with multiple outdoor pools.
D0El7IJ.jpg

If comes down to fruits and flowers then Madeira wins big time. But then again, it's not for nothing Madeira is known as "flower island" or "flower garden in the ocean". But, I don't remember seeing these eye-catching aloe blooms on Madeira. Like most big flowers here, this is buzzing with bees.
ZwN08vC.jpg

gmwoBcm.jpg

Back at mi casita for a break and lunch. Pan de jamon, filled with smoked ham, olives, raisins and cheese.

HnS6kBK.jpg

psECoJK.jpg

qyTYqD1.jpg

After a rest and lunch we walk to another village but most of the photos in the second set are taken in my base village en route. Bird of paradise are super common on Madeira, here they are a bit rare.
LcXUmE9.jpg

XxrRmfW.jpg

Volcanic Malvasia grapes. This part of the island grows the most Malvasia. However, it's the first time seeing them still on the vines here so far. As if the harvester had left them behind on purpose.
iwMYKpt.jpg

Another uncommon sight: vertical rows of vines. It does exist after all, on my street no less.
KI6qe5c.jpg

La Palma (LP) motorway number/code and vertical rows of vines. (Also on my street.)
6fl3UQY.jpg

CsESNwi.jpg

We walk to the next village using this volcano route. No new photos as we have done a walk to this volcano the other day.
8HYyHKr.jpg

On Lanzarote every municipality has its own style of bus stop. On La Palma they are all the same. Volcanic rock construction with La Palma style tile roof.
hUIinuC.jpg

egFfqZf.jpg

Seen from the side.
xD7lbGV.jpg

hjq2ONG.jpg

I couldn't have picked a better island (to walk), a better village, and a better lodging. Some locals stick their hand out the car window to give us a thumb up as we walk slowly up these steep streets. This is the kind of steep streets we walk up and down every day. You only see the sea from some distance away because the incline is stupid steep.
YoshmQW.jpg

U8H6762.jpg

XspEYPa.jpg

Zvnza6w.jpg

A simple dinner when we are back at the lodging. Beef with potatoes and roasted vegetables.
ldW81UM.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

DIY wheel choke. I can imagine you also need regular break maintenance here.
S7AqTy4.jpg

7QbZkQo.jpg

lEqXZJj.jpg

2LiEDzH.jpg

eWJwuFU.jpg

1Jge9iv.jpg

zCOohrR.jpg

7swWjc0.jpg

oeSAg3y.jpg

D0El7IJ.jpg

If comes down to fruits and flowers then Madeira wins big time. But then again, it's not for nothing Madeira is known as "flower island" or "flower garden in the ocean". But, I did not see these eye-catching aloe blooms on Madeira. Like most big flowers here, this is buzzing with bees.
ZwN08vC.jpg

gmwoBcm.jpg

HnS6kBK.jpg

psECoJK.jpg

qyTYqD1.jpg

LcXUmE9.jpg

XxrRmfW.jpg

Malvasia grapes. This part of the island grows the most Malvasia. However, it's the first time seeing them here so far. As if the harvester left them behind on purpose.
iwMYKpt.jpg

KI6qe5c.jpg

6fl3UQY.jpg

CsESNwi.jpg

8HYyHKr.jpg

hUIinuC.jpg

egFfqZf.jpg

Seen from the side.
xD7lbGV.jpg

hjq2ONG.jpg

YoshmQW.jpg

U8H6762.jpg

XspEYPa.jpg

Zvnza6w.jpg

ldW81UM.jpg