• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Long day on the road today. The distance is short but the time spent sitting in gridlock traffic takes twice as long to get to your destination. Horrendous traffic. Move over, LA. It was not like this on my previous trip. More Albanians can afford cars in recent years so now most roads in big cities are congested at all hours of the day. Traffic comes to a painful crawl before enter the city from the motorway. The air quality is so bad. I wear 2 masks and the one on the outside turns black.

Finally got to our lovely guest house here in coastal town Durres(i), not far from the capital. Saw this local restaurant around the corner from my guest house and decided we would eat there. Well, we went there straight away after getting the key to the room. A small family-run restaurant, 2 women in the kitchen and a young man takes care of the customers. He's professional and speaks excellent English.

Typical Albanian dishes, with lots of vegs, carbs and very little meat. First dish is slow-cooked beef with cabbage. This one piece of meat is perfect size for us, that's usually how much meat we eat at home.
ksn32rr.jpg

"Oven potatoes". Not golden roast potatoes we had in mind. They were quite wet. Must have been cooked in the oven then let sit in a savoury broth.
R0EBsyk.jpg

Bake yoghurt. Another typical winter dish. Came with a small piece of meat. Yoghurt was good and creamy.
475xV1z.jpg

I thought I ordered mixed grilled vegetables. It's mixed vegetables but in a broth (the vegs were cooked separately).
1A43OSf.jpg

And mixed pickles
kMQ59bQ.jpg

Checked out a couple of supermarkets nearby after eating. Italian supermarket chain Conad is sucessful here in Albania. Conad is everywhere and stocks mostly Italian products. We don't have this kind of amazing supermarkets at home in (food) hell.
KLeD7yR.jpg

Fancy salami comes in a gift box that looks like an old book.
Svt5BeT.jpg

Opposite the supermarket is a dairy shop that sells products from a certain dairy producer. I got fresh ricotta and yoghurt.
e5SdecG.jpg

Lovely airy bread from a bakery a few steps from my lodging.
Pbj5LZT.jpg

Albanian wine. Pretty good.
eILcftI.jpg

Ate this in my room later. Bread: 60 cents. Wine: $10. Yoghurt and ricotta: $1.40 (for both)
yV0YLaN.jpg

Smithy, re kiwis. He wants to try something different.

BonVivant

BonVivant

Long day on the road today. The distance is short but the time spent sitting in gridlock traffic takes twice as long to get to your destination. Horrendous traffic. Move over, LA. It was not like this on my previous trip. More Albanians can afford cars in recent years so now most roads in big cities are congested at all hours of the day. Traffic comes to a painful crawl before enter the city from the motorway. The air quality is so bad. I wear 2 masks and the one on the outside turns black.

Finally got to our lovely guest house here in coastal town Durres(i), not far from the capital. Saw this local restaurant around the corner from my guest house and decided we would eat there. Well, we went there straight away after getting the key to the room. A small family-run restaurant, 2 women in the kitchen and a young man takes care of the customers. He's professional and speaks excellent English.

Typical Albanian dishes, with lots of vegs, carbs and very little meat. First dish is slow-cooked beef with cabbage. This one piece of meat is perfect size for us, that's usually how much meat we eat at home.
ksn32rr.jpg

"Oven potatoes". Not golden roast potatoes we had in mind. They were quite wet. Must have been cooked in the oven then let sit in a savoury broth.
R0EBsyk.jpg

Bake yoghurt. Another typical winter dish. Came with a small piece of meat. Yoghurt was good and creamy.
475xV1z.jpg

I thought I ordered mixed grilled vegetables. It's mixed vegetables but in a broth (there were cooked separately).
1A43OSf.jpg

And mixed pickles
kMQ59bQ.jpg

Checked out a couple of supermarkets nearby after eating. Italian supermarket chain Conad is sucessful here in Albania. Conad is everywhere and stocks mostly Italian products. We don't have this kind of amazing supermarkets at home in (food) hell.
KLeD7yR.jpg

Svt5BeT.jpg

Opposite the supermarket is a dairy shop that sells products from a certain dairy producer. I got fresh ricotta and yoghurt.
e5SdecG.jpg

Pbj5LZT.jpg

eILcftI.jpg

Ate this in my room later. Bread: 60 cents. Wine: $10. Yoghurt and ricotta: $1.40 (for both)
yV0YLaN.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

ksn32rr.jpg

"Oven potatoes". Not golden roast potatoes we had in mind. They are quite wet.
R0EBsyk.jpg

475xV1z.jpg

I thought I ordered mixed grilled vegetables. It's mixed vegetables but in a broth (there were cooked separately).
1A43OSf.jpg

And mixed pickles
kMQ59bQ.jpg

KLeD7yR.jpg

Svt5BeT.jpg

e5SdecG.jpg

Pbj5LZT.jpg

eILcftI.jpg

yV0YLaN.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

ksn32rr.jpg

"Oven potatoes". Not golden roast potatoes we had in mind. They are quite wet.
R0EBsyk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/475xV1z.jpg

1A43OSf.jpg

And mixed pickles
kMQ59bQ.jpg

KLeD7yR.jpg

Svt5BeT.jpg

e5SdecG.jpg

Pbj5LZT.jpg

eILcftI.jpg

yV0YLaN.jpg