• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

There is a story behind this bread. My German grandmother always used to make Schnitzbrote every Christmas, but the Schnitzbrote that she made was the real German yeast bread. It is a very dark heavy yeast bread. I loved it but I was the only one in the family that did so I got all the bread that she sent to the family. Wrapped in foil it would keep for months in the refrigerator. Grandma, being very old school never wrote down a recipe so hers was lost forever. Years later, when recipes became available on the internet I tried every one that I could find. I've never had so many back-to-back failures in my life. One batch came out so hard that we thought about keeping them for self-defense in case someone broke in the house we could beat them to death with the loaves. Not one to give up easily, I decided to incorporate the flavors in a quick bread and this is the recipe that I developed. It has quickly become my favorite quick bread.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

There is a story behind this bread. My German grandmother always used to make Schnitzbrote every Christmas, but the Schnitzbrote that she made was the real German yeast bread. It is a very dark heavy yeast bread. I loved it but I was the only one in the family that did so I got all the bread that she sent to the family. Wrapped in foil it would keep for months in the refrigerator. Grandma, being very old school never wrote down a recipe so hers was lost forever. Years later, when recipes became available on the internet I tried every one that I could find. I've never had so many back-to-back failures in my life. One batch came out so hard that we thought about keeping them for self-defense in case someone broke in the house we could beat them to death with the loaves. Not one to give up easily, I decided to incorporate the flavors in a quick bread and this is the recipe that I developed. It is quickly become my favorite quick bread.