• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Western Food in China

liuzhou

Pineapple and shrimp fried rice is common in many parts of S.E. Asia and among the related ethnic minority populations of China, especially the Dai in Yunnan Province. Here is a sample made by my beautiful Tujia ethnic minority friend.

78704388_1285110958343083_2320554539217846272_o.thumb.jpg.8a618ac1cb48ec463ceb583152579915.jpg

Bacon is not involved!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

There is no shortage of pizza here in China. There is a huge shortage of pizza here in China.

I have no idea how many pizza outlets there are but I do know that very few serve pizzas. Many places serve round pieces of baked goods covered in various toppings. Few of the baked goods are bread. Most are cake.

The toppings are innumerable and occasionally recognisable but nothing you’d probably associate with pizza.

So I was moderately pleased to see that a new pizza place has opened near my home. Next street in fact. And they deliver. The first ad that I looked at was for a Margherita. Then a ‘black truffle and Parma ham pizza’. Next up was a pepperoni number. Finally, of course, a durian number. Three out of four – not bad.

The images that accompanied these offerings were interesting -ish.

First up the Margherita. It doesn’t like like a Margherita to me; where is the red white and green of the Italian flag? We’ve got the tomatoes, though what kind is a mystery. Bet they ain’t San Marzano though. I see the green, but it looks suspicious. Sure enough it isn’t the requisite basil, but rocket /arugula (Eruca sativa)! I know both names are ultimately derived from Italian but they don’t describe anything on a Margherita! Then the white from the mozzarella is missing, although the ingredient is listed. Buried under the rest of the et cetera, I suppose.

_20230703154012.thumb.jpg.0126e8cc63868416e145bfdd8c52ea65.jpg

"Margherita Pizza"

Then is the Pepperoni pizza. The description translates literally as ‘Italian salami slices, with light taste of Mazcapone (sic) cheese, multi-layer back and forth collision. Main ingredients: Italian sausage* slices, mozzarella cheese. Accessories: rocket.” I’ll pass. I prefer my suppliers to know what they are supplying.

_20230703154030.thumb.jpg.40fdb6a31aa65ea3473a6e0444c0ce91.jpg

"Pepperoni Pizza"

Ignoring the durian travesty, preferring to remain in the realms of the semi-sensible, I finally decide on the truffle and Parma. Apparently this contains black truffle sauce, Parma ham, mushrooms, onions, mozzarella, rocket/arugula, etc. I am concerned by the ‘etc’, but it looks to me like a fine pizza. I realise that the truffles will be Chinese and therefore worthless. but on balance it sounds best to me. Then I make a final discovery.

_20230703154000.thumb.jpg.075c1d99ee91b427e029e73c60bfa82c.jpg

"Black Truffle and Arugula Pizza"

On the delivery app, someone has left a review picturing what actually arrived.

_20230703165822.thumb.jpg.e55511af713bd73c04db04a9f79d1857.jpg

"Black Truffle and Arugula Pizza" - as delivered.

I decide to have Mapo Doufu instead.

* Which covers the sublime to the ghastly.

All  images from ads or review from "Commune Restaurant 地王新天地店”, Liuzhou, China's online app service.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Mark Twain

• 3 months later...

Just to add opprobrium to shame, I have decided to post this picture of the durian pizza mentioned in the above post. But it's not just them. Every pizza place in town has these, including Pizza Hut

DurianPizza.thumb.jpg.0476e68b74f0055f86e50e91a63c633a.jpg

I bet you're all booking your flights here, right now.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Mark Twain