• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stir fried mushrooms with ginger and any vegetable or protein

shain

• apx 250g mushrooms - button, portobello, shiitake, etc - cut into 1cm think slices
  • apx 200g of vegetable or protein of your choice - I like fried tofu (tofu agadshi style) or stir fired green beans (the latter works well with the optional wakame)

• 3 tbsp rice wine (e.g. shaoxing wine. optional, I guess regular  white wine will also work)
  • apx 1 tbsp ginger cut into needles
  • dry or fresh chili, to taste
  • 1.5 tbsp mushroom sauce (sometimes labelled vegetarian oyster flavored sauce. Regular oyster sauce can also be used in a pinch) (can be substituted with a large dried shiitake, re-hydrated and minced + 1 tsp sugar)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 flat tsp dark brown sugar (or any sugar)
  • 2-3 tsp rice vinegar
  • a bit of MSG if you like using it
  • some water as needed
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper
  • Thinly sliced spring onion or a couple tbsp of dry wakame seaweed, re-hydrated
  • Cooked Japanese/Chinese rice for serving

• If adding a vegetable/protein that requires stir frying, cook it first and set aside.
  • Stir fry the mushrooms over high heat until browned, but still juicy (if using rehydrated dried shiitake instead of mushroom sauce, add them as well).
  • Add the cooked vegetable/protein.
  • Add the rice wine and cook until it no longer smells alcoholic.
  • Add chili, ginger, soy sauce, mushroom sauce, sugar, vinegar, MSG. Remove form the heat.
  • Add some water if needed, along with salt to taste, black pepper and spring onions/wakame.
  • Serve with rice.

IMG_20200820_222555.thumb.jpg.789ecd7d323930d638ff2f4dd3600419.jpgPXL_20200921_185951777.thumb.jpg.098420a0196aba44236aa01d2174e36a.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

They are not neccesarily the same thing. I have both and they are very different.

Thanks, I'm aware that vegetarian oyster sauce is a broader term. Though you make me realize my clarification in the recipe is more harmful than helpful. I'll edit it. Thanks!

BTW, when would you choose to use vegetarian (not mushroom based) oyster sauce rather than real one?

~ Shai N.