• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

clarification

I have taken two university classes on nutrition for people with celiac disease. I am also an avid bread baker and vegetarian. IMO, much of the substitute stuff is terrible. Got some GF bagels from a local place and they were like eating rubber tires. The one totally GF free bakery in town does,  however, make some great cookies.

Europe has a much higher standard for stating something is GF than in the US. Something like 2 parts per billion, IIRC.  Here in Phoenix, only one bakery is totally GF. They started by remodeling the building and replacing all of the wallboard, ductwork, ceilings, flooring, etc. The air system filters outside air before it enters the building. Staff enters the building in a locker room where they don bunny suits. Every sack of flour, every single item gets a lab test to confirm that it is actually GF nothing testing positive is allowed further than the loading dock. Nothing with gluten has ever been inside the actual baking space. They test a sample from every batch they bake. They are the only place I would trust.

Some bakeries in the US make so-called GF foods on shared equipment or spaces with shared air vents, activities which are not allowed under EU law, as far as I know. There's a lot of shady stuff going on and I wouldn't trust much of what's on the market. -Or at farmer's markets. I know of people who cook so-called GF foods to take to the farmer's market in their regular kitchen with the same pans, counters, towels, AC ducts, etc. they use for making meals with gluten-containing meals. My advice is to trust almost no one and cook more at home in a kitchen that has been cleaned and upgraded to be gluten-free. (clean the air ducts, paint the walls, scrub every surface twice, scrub all the pans and dishes several times, get new linens, etc.)

In some baked goods, almond flour is an excellent substitute, in others, not so much.

IMO, you might have to say goodbye to pizza but substitute some other dish. Italy has a traditional casserole of rice layered with eggplant and sometimes sausage, I don't know a name for it, but it can be dressed up and customized to be very similar to lasagna and topped like a pizza. I think there's a lot one can do with pizza toppings if you think about it. And, maybe just order it out, one place here (with a separate GF kitchen space) has a really good GF pizza that surprised me.

I think in general we all make choices about what makes the cut for our MVP players in frequent rotation for dinner, or any meal, and if you get into the groove of making certain GF things more often, you'll miss the gluten much less. Start looking at all the varieties of rice and variations on cooking it, same with potatoes, quinoa, etc. Example: risotto, paella, pilaf, sushi, congee, etc. Maybe you'll find new things to feed your family that are delicious, just different. (instead of pancakes for breakfast how about a bowl of congee? instead of lasagna how about paella?)

I will say to be very careful with your son. Celiac disease is very insidious in that inflammation caused by it causes the permanent destruction of villi structures in your small intestines. So, a person can tolerate a little gluten here and there, and maybe 'power through' some pain. But their small intestine is being destroyed in the process and this will eventually affect how many nutrients can be absorbed from food and eventually cause severe malnutrition and shorten lifespan. So, every exposure is important to avoid in order to ensure that your son has the fullest possible life.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

I have taken two university classes on nutrition for people with celiac disease. I am also an avid bread baker and vegetarian. IMO, much of the substitute stuff is terrible. Got some GF bagels from a local place and they were like eating rubber tires. The one totally GF free bakery in town does,  however, make some great cookies.

Europe has a much higher standard for stating something is GF than in the US. Something like 2 parts per billion, IIRC.  Here in Phoenix, only one bakery is totally GF. They started by remodeling the building and replacing all of the wallboard, ductwork, ceilings, flooring, etc. The air system filters outside air before it enters the building. Staff enters the building in a locker room where they don bunny suits. Every sack of flour, every single item gets a lab test to confirm that it is actually GF nothing testing positive is allowed further than the loading dock. Nothing with gluten has ever been inside the actual baking space. They test a sample from every batch they bake. They are the only place I would trust.

Some bakeries in the US make so-called GF foods on shared equipment or spaces with shared air vents, activities which are not allowed under EU law, as far as I know. There's a lot of shady stuff going on and I wouldn't trust much of what's on the market. -Or at farmer's markets. I know of people who cook so-called GF foods to take to the farmer's market in their regular kitchen with the same pans, counters, towels, AC ducts, etc. they use for making meals with gluten-containing meals. My advice is to trust almost no one and cook more at home in a kitchen that has been cleaned and upgraded to be gluten-free. (clean the air ducts, paint the walls, scrub every surface twice, scrub all the pans and dishes several times, get new linens, etc.)

In some baked goods, almond flour is an excellent substitute, in others, not so much.

IMO, you might have to say goodbye to pizza but substitute some other dish. Italy has a traditional casserole of rice layered with eggplant and sometimes sausage, I don't know a name for it, but it can be dressed up and customized to be very similar to lasagna and topped like a pizza. I think there's a lot one can do with pizza toppings if you think about it. And, maybe just order it out, one place here has a really good GF pizza that surprised me.

I think in general we all make choices about what makes the cut for our MVP players in frequent rotation for dinner, or any meal, and if you get into the groove of making certain GF things more often, you'll miss the gluten much less. Start looking at all the varieties of rice and variations on cooking it, same with potatoes, quinoa, etc. Example: risotto, paella, pilaf, sushi, congee, etc. Maybe you'll find new things to feed your family that are delicious, just different. (instead of pancakes for breakfast how about a bowl of congee? instead of lasagna how about paella?)

I will say to be very careful with your son. Celiac disease is very insidious in that inflammation caused by it causes the destruction of villi structures in your small intestines. So, a person can tolerate a little gluten here and there, and maybe 'power through' some pain. But their small intestine is being destroyed in the process and this will eventually affect how many nutrients can be absorbed from food and eventually cause severe malnutrition. So, every exposure is important to avoid in order to ensure that your son has the fullest possible lifespan.