• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

My flabber is utterly gasted. I passed by the nearest branch of Starbuck's today here in China and spotted this sign littering the sidewalk.

20170310_120444.thumb.jpg.82261b58c001d4922cc6420798d061e8.jpg

I had no idea. I don't want an idea. I knew Starbuck's did nasty cakes, but pies? Tell me it isn't true.

I note, also that the Chinese for the Shepherd's Pie reads 牛肉, which is beef! Bloody strange shepherds. If it's beef, it's cottage pie. The clue is in the name. But then, I'm probably one of the only 6 people in the city who would know what a shepherd was never mind his pie! Even pies are a bit of an alien concept too far for most people here.

Has anyone here ever eaten one of these things? Confused shepherds looking after cattle? And what about the roast chicken and mushroom pie? When I make chicken pies, the chicken is never roasted. Hmmm. Are the mushrooms roasted, too? Is the pie roasted?

More information urgently required! Just so that I can sleep at night.

liuzhou

liuzhou

My flabber is utterly gasted. I passed by the nearest branch of Starbuck's today here in China and spotted this sign littering the sidewalk.

I had no idea. I don't want an idea. I knew Starbuck's did nasty cakes, but pies? Tell me it isn't true.

I note, also that the Chinese for the Shepherd's Pie reads 牛肉, which is beef! Bloody strange shepherd's If it's beef it's cottage pie! But then, I'm probably one of the only 6 people in the city who would know what a shepherd was never mind his pie! Even pies are a bit of an alien concept too far for most people here.

Has anyone here ever eaten one of these things? Confused shepherds looking after cattle? And what about the roast chicken and mushroom pie? When I make chicken pies, the chicken is never roasted. Hmmm. Are the mushrooms roasted, too? Is the pie roasted?

More information urgently required! Just so that I can sleep at night.

liuzhou

liuzhou