• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

daveb

daveb

Is anyone familiar with this cut or grade?  A friend caught these on sale at Rest Depot.  He's not sure what it is but it says ribeye and was less than $5/lb so he bought a case and brought it to me to be packaged.  

I trimmed the silverskin (a lot) and sort of portioned it.  But.  It does not look like any ribeye I've seen.  No thick fat peice running through the center, texture does not look right for ribeye.  My limited google fu finds discussions of a cheap cut with little marbling that is typically tough.  My default on unknown cuts of beef is to treat them like a round and put them in a bath overnight.  

Does anyone have a good (or bad) experience to share?

daveb

daveb

Is anyone familiar with this cut?  A friend caught these on sale at Rest Depot.  He's not sure what it is but it says ribeye and was less than $5/lb so he bought a case and brought it to me to be packaged.  

I trimmed the silverskin (a lot) and sort of portioned it.  But.  It does not look like any ribeye I've seen.  No thick fat peice running through the center, texture does not look right for ribeye.  My limited google fu finds discussions of a cheap cut with little marbling that is typically tough.  My default on unknown cuts of beef is to treat them like a round and put them in a bath overnight.  

Does anyone have a good (or bad) experience to share?