• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ryland Inn

Kim WB

Has anyone been here in the last 6 months? It's time to schedule our annual trek there, 6 serious diners..but I'm thinking of making the switch to Nicholas. it's going to be hard to get everyone to change, and you can't beat the ambiance of RI, so looking for some recent opinions of their current /recent menus.

Wiseass. :biggrin: And I would thatnk you, but that review is from 2000, and I've been there three times since then...I'm looking for anyone's RECENT opinion...which would you go to, Nick, Ryland of Nicholas?

PS, Chop, please understand, I would go to Nicholas if it was just my choice, but this is an annual visit that we all take to Ryland, and its going to take some substantiated info to get this group to switch. I have a few stellar Nicholas reviews, and want to compare it to a recent Ryland review, plus tell them about some comments from this board.

Instead of buying each other Holiday gifts, we rent a limo to drive us there, so we can enjoy the wines without worrying about the commute...and Nicholas is about as far from Princeton as Ryland.

The website gourmand menu is enticing, though..and the memory of the sheep's milk ice cream lingers...http://www.rylandinn.com/menus/tastinggourmand.htm

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Kim, I have an article about the Ryland Inn on Table Hopping With Rosie this week.

http://www.njmonthly.com/issues/Jan03/rosi.../rnews0108.html

Thanks Rosie...the bistro sounds good...I'll probably never visit, if I'm travelling there I'm going for the real deal! :biggrin: But it looks like the NJ high end places are adding the cafes and such: Ryland's new one, and Rats has the Kabal Kafe.

Hello there,

Now im not going to tell you where to go but, i will as i like to do, voice my opinion. Since i used to work at the ryland i can tell you about the food. The ryland inn to me will always have some of the most interesting things on there menu. They experiment everyday just about with something new. The menus change often and they always get the best stuff around. Chef Shelton is by far the best chef i've ever had the pleasure to work sure. So that being said If everyone in your group wants to go to the ryland then by all means go there as a group. You will have a delightfull time and im sure you wil more thenl enjoy your meal. Now i dont know if you go tasting when you do go there but i sure as hell would. I would also go with the gourmand menu for two reasons. Its the biggest tasting menu they have and i want to enjoy alot when im there. But it also costs the restaurant alot more money to put that menu together then it does the others. For example the first course at one point was a dungenous crab. We were paying like 120 a piece for these huge things. It broke down to being like 12 dollars an order. Most of the corses are like that so you really get your moneys worth. I dont know what you do about wine but the tasting wines are very expensive to me. So i dont know if i would take that route. So to concludewhat im saying.....go to the ryland and get the gourmand menu. Have a great time drink as much as you can and enjoy your experience there. Just dont forget to come to restaurant Nicholas very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

If you want yet another review about restaurant Nicholas just ask Rosie. I had the pleasure to meet Rosie today when she came in for her B-Day. I hope you enjoyed everything. It was our pleasure to serve you.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the new bistro menu at the ryland inn yet? I read about it in your article Rosie but am curious if you or anyone else has tried it out yet. Thanks.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan