• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelling agent that makes gelatin hold under heat

Martin Baadsgaard

I have this sauce, or more like a stock. It is not a demiglace, it is just made on bones, meat and vegetables that have been browned.

Varmed, it is the nicest rich sauce. Cold, it stands very stiff and hard.

I would like to serve it in the jelly-like state, in cubes, but I would like it to be 50-60C when served, at which point it would melt again.

I have been playing with, and reading about gels alot here lately and came to think.. Maybe I can create a synergy between gelatin and another gelling agent that would make it heat-stable up to this temperature.

Google-searches gave nothing yet, so did anyone try something like this?

Methylcellulose is the typical gelling agent for this. It gels when it gets hot, liquefies when it cools. I'd be surprised if no one's played with combinations of methylcellulose and gelatin (or something similar), to get a gel that would be stable at any temperature.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

Thank (once again) for your answer :)

Did a Google search for it, because, as you said, someone ought to have tried it.

Found a scientific report about this phenomenon, which showed gelatin stopped methyl-cellulose from proper gelling above 45c. Also, I don't have methyl-cellulose available and would prefer not investing in more powders right now.

So if you have any other suggestions I am all ears :)

I have carrageenan, xanthan, Guar, agar and pectin on hand for quick tests.