• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squab

chopjwu12

I've made it at home, and enjoy the taste of all game ( quail,pheasant, squab especially) but usually do not order it in a restaurant because it is a difficult bird to eat. Too many bones, to much digging for the meat..what kind of presentation are you considering, Chop?

Well one of the only ways i have made it in a restaurant is the brest wrapped in cabbage, truffles, and foie gras. It was then poached in squab jus to medium rare. We served it over red cabbage, honey cap mushrooms, and diced beets. The sauce was the squab jus reduced with beet juice so it had that red rich earthy quality to it. I liked certain aspects of the dish. But i would work with it and change it up. But no bones here.

Would squab be insulted if NJ disliked it?

On a more serious note... is consumption of squab more prevalent in other parts of the U.S.?

Ive seen it on alot of new york menus. But i haven't seen it in NJ at all except when it was on the menu for a short time at the ryland. I thought there might be a reason for that. I understand the whole bone issue. But if its just the breast and you debone the legs it would be easy to eat.