• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

© The pedantic linguist.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, Smithy said:

That's a delightful post! I'm with Heidi and Kay - love looking at people's pottery and glassware. I have a large salad bowl and some tumblers that match your wine pitcher/decanter. The meals all look delicious, too. 

The term "pork scotch" threw me for a loop. It looks like what we Yanks would call medallions. Is that right? Are they cut from the loin?

Scotch in this context just means "cut". Not very helpful.

it's the same meaning as "to scotch a rumor", i.e. refute it (cut it).

"Medallion" isn't American. It's French and used most places.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, Smithy said:

That's a delightful post! I'm with Heidi and Kay - love looking at people's pottery and glassware. I have a large salad bowl and some tumblers that match your wine pitcher/decanter. The meals all look delicious, too. 

The term "pork scotch" threw me for a loop. It looks like what we Yanks would call medallions. Is that right? Are they cut from the loin?

Scotch in this context just means "cut". Not very helpful.

it's the same meaning as "to scotch a rumor", i.e. refute it (cut it).

"Medallion" isn't American. It's French and used most places.