• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galette des Rois

Louisa Chu

The galettes here in our village are not as fancy as those you folks in Paris get, but you probably don't get to have them in the Salle des Fetes with the rest of the folk in the village, with glasses of bubbly (depending on who's offering, could be Cremant or Champagne) then some chocolates, tea, coffee and eau de vie to finish. Then the ladies will sing and the men will tell (mildly) dirty jokes!

Crowns for the rois (and reines) who find the feves.

Things I never imagined when we decided to live in France, but treasure.

I've managed to partake of three hinterlands cakes today, two of the frangipane and puff variety and one couronne. All were delicious and it made for a very fun day. A picture of the inside of my first galette and the story are here. I can pretty much guarantee that this will be the only Epiphany story to include the word "yockstrap!"

I decided to trek to the outer reaches of the 12th yesterday to try one of Stéphane Vandermeersch’s galettes which seem to be on everyone’s ‘best’ list. It was certainly worth the trip as his galette was far better than most I have had, if not all. According to viamichelin, Vandermeersch worked for Fauchon, Hermé and Ladurée before opening his shop in the 12th. I intend to go back, despite the fact that it is a bit far for me, as his other breads and pastries looked amazing as well.

Interestingly, his galette for 4 was the same price as the very average bakery near my work in la Defense, so even though he is using far superior products, the price was the same.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com