• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Activa RM (Transglutaminase)

Anonymous Modernist 3083

Hi there. I've been experimenting with Activa RM for several preparations, mostly pre-sous vide meat stuffing, and I'm very pleased with the results so far. I've read all the possibilities on 3-250 to 3-256 and I yet have to test other uses you propose there.

Since I published two very simple recipes on my blog http://www.RamiroSalas.com, I've started to get some criticism in the twittersphere for using the ingredient. Their main arguments against it are the overuse in the industry (which I'm not personally concerned about since I'm just a home cook) and the banning of the ingredient in the EU. They also point that the only safety study used to approve its use in the US was originally paid by Ajinomoto, the main producer.

Overall, the arguments seem rather weak to me, but I'm having a hard time finding conclusive scientific evidence that the product itself is safe. I really don't care about the ethical/moral aspects of its use since those are very subjective areas, but I do care about hard facts.

The information in the Modernist Cuisine as well as the references in 3-257 focus mainly on the proper use of the substance, but I was wondering if you have any additional sources that could help debunk some of the "safety" related myths circulating out there regarding Activa. Thanks!

If you want a complete answer to all these allegations Dave Arnolds of Cooking Issues published a good article:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2011/05/20/the-trials-of-transglutaminase%E2%80%94the-misunderstood-magic-of-meat-glue/#more-5330

For more details on the safety and usage they also have that article:

http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/transglutaminase-aka-meat-glue/#more-2129

BTW great blog, I'll probably serve glazed fennel for Christmas. :-) Unfortunately I cannot acces your photographies on Salas Arts.

I've been unable to find any evidence that it was banned in the EU; lots of people repeating that it was, but no actual source. The TV show that spawned the idea that it was banned was, by some accounts, referring to another provider/brand that had some issues.

If rumours in the twittersphere are an issue to your business, you'll need to figure out some kind of strategy. Otherwise I think you'll find it hard to come up with any concrete evidence that it is harmful.

PK

@LFMichaud Thanks for the reply. Indeed the links are excellent and I'll use them as a reference in the future.

Glad also you like the blog. It's a new experience for me but it's been very fun so far. It's funny that when you go public with anything, there is always someone out there that takes offense on something I did or say, like in the Activa situation, or previously with the upcoming foie gras ban in California. I should know better not to engage into arguments with everybody, but I can't stand ignorance in any form (I'll gladly change my mind if I'm proven wrong too)…

I fixed the Salas Arts liks so hopefully they'll work fine now…

Enjoy the fennel dish! I've made it a few times since I discovered it…

@Paul Kierstead. Thanks a lot also for the reply. This is very interesting indeed. May be the reason why I could not find any references either! I'll keep digging and I'll post what I find. And regarding this twitter comments, no, not really harmful to me, but I hate that there is so much misinformation out there, so whenever I have the chance to clarify something to anybody (if I have the time) I'm always happy to do it... Cheers.