• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anonymous Modernist 3225

Hi,

unfortunately I couldn't find a recipe for a more 'traditional' crème brûlée in MC.

I mean Cr.Br. made from cream and egg yolk.

I am having trouble with getting a perfectly crisp caramelized layer on top.

Sometimes I succeed, sometimes it is less crisp probably due to the still a bit moist

cream. Air drying in the fridge doesn't seem to help enough.

Should I use a different type of sugar? I tried granulated sugar, powdered sugar,

cane sugar. Or should I change 'strategy'?

I now caramelize the sugar with a torch.

I hope you can help me so I can achieve a perfect crème brûlée every time.

Thanks,

Raul

no i meant just use icing sugar, which is also known as confectioners, or powdered sugar depending on where you are.

2-3mm thick seems too thick to me. if you put too much sugar on, some of it will burn before the rest has even started caramelizing. best to keep it a thin layer on that will caramelize evenly.

if you want a better caramel - brulee ratio, make your brulee's in larger, shallower dishes.

hmmm. im no pastry chef, but iv burnt many a brulee through my career, and iv never done a really thick layer.

i would imagine you could either make a caramel in a pan and pour it on top, or burn it twice in 2 layers? (sugar, burn, sugar, burn) perhaps that would work.

im pretty sure, classically, the brulee should have a thin, crisp layer on top. not a thick one.

It is hard to define what thin and thick is. I guess my original number of 2-3 mm was too high.

What I meant is that the layer that I get with powdered sugar ( what we here in the NL typically

would put on cakes in a dry form) is too thin. The layer thickness with cane sugar seems to be exactly right,

but it is less often crisp than with powdered sugar. It might be closer to 1 mm though - I'll grab a vernier caliper next time ;-)

• 1 month later...

i like a thick layer to get a nice crunch as well. if you hold the ramikin in your hand( just be carefull, your torch is hot!)and slowly melt the sugar in the top left handquarter of the brullee,rotating your torch in small circualsjust till tje sugarruns and turn the ramikin clock wise, you can get a nice thick layer thats not burned at all!! it takes practice i have done side by side tests of sugars and sugar mixes and ratios of those mixes i like a 50/50 mix of raw sugar and regular sugar (iwould premix andthrow inmy spent vanilla beans)

• 2 months later...

Your best bet for a crisp sugar crust is sugar in the raw. After you have made you brûlée store them in the fridge till well chilled. Then place enough of the raw sugar to form a nice dense single layer on top. Rotate the dish on an angle to distribute the sugar evenly around the top.

Light a blow torch and slowly wave it just above the sugar granules. You will be able to see the cone shape of the flame, keep it just above the sugar. Move the flame around constantly, if you have any excess brûlée i.e. drips on the side of your ramekin it may burn, so take the time to pour your custard cleanly.

The key to a crisp sugar is the right balance of heat and motion. Your looking for a deep brown not a scorched black. Holding the flame to close or in the same spot will burn either the sugar or the custard. If your flame is too far away you won't get enough heat to caramelized the sugar.

It just takes a little practice. Remember you need to serve it quickly or your sugar will get soft and gummy. So make the custard and then when ready brûlée the sugar at service.

• 8 months later...