• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butterscotch Pudding

Shel_B

I've been on a pudding jag lately, and have perfected my chocolate pudding, the vanilla pudding is just about where I want it, and I'm getting close with lemon pudding. Next up: Butterscotch pudding.

Checking various web sites gives a few recipes, but what I need more than recipes, is an understanding of what makes a great butterscotch pudding. Looking at recipes only gives me some of the picture. Any suggestions?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Check out Cook's Illustrated's recipe from January/February 2013. If you don't find it perfect, the background to it will make it easy for you to figure out how to tweak it to your taste.

Thanks for the pointer. I'd not reached the CI recipe in my search when I first posted. It does have some interesting and novel techniques. Definitely looks like one I'll try.

... Shel

I went on a butterscotch pudding jag when I was thinking of putting it on my dessert menu last year. I tried several, CI wasn't quiet what I was looking for.

I tweaked this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butterscotch-Budino-with-Whipped-Creme-Fraiche-239847, and was able to get one that I liked. I felt the rum didn't really give it the right flavor, I always like Jack Daniels in mine.

I tried the one from Lark Creek, but it uses butterscotch chips, and that wasn't what I wanted either. If I decide to make it again, while I like the one I ended up with, I still feel it needs a darker, richer flavor that I need to work on.

I went on a butterscotch pudding jag when I was thinking of putting it on my dessert menu last year. I tried several, CI wasn't quiet what I was looking for.

What was it about the recipe or the result that you didn't care for? What were you seeking that the CI recipe didn't have?

... Shel

It's been a while since I made it, but I think the flavor they claimed it had wasn't there.  And I wasn't happy with the texture.  I think CI has some good recipes, and some not as good as they claim.  For a while I thought that the butterscotch chips would give the flavor I was looking for, but after trying a couple with them, it's too fake.  

I like brown sugar with bourbon as the base for it. 

The recipe I linked above says to caramelized dark brown sugar, which can be iffy since it's already dark.  But, I like that flavor.

Look up bathers pavilion butterscotch pudding recipe, if you cant find it i have it, trick in the pudding is to let the date mixture cool COMPLETLY before adding it to the butter and sugar and flour. the butterscotch sauce is quite straight forward with melted butter, brown sugar and adjusted with cream, needs to drench the pudding so it sucks the sauce up for it to be awesome! =)