• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dangerous driving

jaybee

I asked my husband's Parisian cousin about the French Paradox.  He tilted his head, let out that sardonic Parisian snigger, and noted that the only French Paradox is how many people actually DON'T get killed in motor vehicle accidents.  He didn't think the Paradoxers' research had a statistically significant number of people to work with.  Folks died on the highways en masse, therefore nobody got old enough to have developed coronary disease.

I think that's very huorous and will be sure to repeat it at many cocktail parties in the future--especially when I am amongst Frenchmen. The evidence is still anecdotal and based on humor and rumor. My 60 yeaqr old American friend is one of the juniors in the group with which he rides. In variably he has to work hard and often pedal fast just to reach some of his elders in the next village before they're off again sharing the roads with cars in the Languedoc.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

(I think that's very humorous and will be sure to repeat it at many cocktail parties in the future--especially when I am amongst Frenchmen.)

I'd be curious to hear how your French acquaintances respond. They do not laugh at themselves with any skill whatsoever. (Cousin Julien from Paris was raised by French parents who spent much time in the USA.)

Geepsie

I'd be curious to hear how your French acquaintances respond.  They do not laugh at themselves with any skill whatsoever.  (Cousin Julien from Paris was raised by French parents who spent much time in the USA.)

Some do, but most don't. I particularly enjoy it when they don't understand that while the success of McDonald's in America may be a testament to our lack of taste, the success of McDonald's in France is a testament to their bad taste, not ours. Sometimes I tell stories for the amusement of the people I'm talking to and sometimes it's for my amusement.

:laugh:

My son-in-law is French. Well actually Breton.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

I particularly enjoy it when they don't understand that while the success of McDonald's in America may be a testament to our lack of taste, the success of McDonald's in France is a testament to their bad taste, not ours.

Ditto EuroDisney.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

BUX

"My 60 yeaqr old American friend is one of the juniors in the group with which he rides. In variably he has to work hard and often pedal fast just to reach some of his elders in the next village before they're off again sharing the roads with cars in the Languedoc."

Does your friend live in the Toulouse area by any chance. I know someone around the same age who just had an accident riding those same roads.

I ride in this area twice per week and haven't had any problems, so far. In general, I find the drivers pretty respectful of the riders. Older drivers are the worst-they just don't see you and/or cannot judge distance well enough to be safe.

Like your friend, I'm over sixty and have to pedal really hard to keep up with the others in the group.

BlackDuff

Is McDonald's that successful in France? I thought I'd read recently that they weren't. I can't say for EuroDisney at all except I think it's odd when I see their billboards around town only in English.

In reactions to the English signs, it's too tempting to say it's "for tourists." I'm not sure if it is or isn't and a little English often has the same cachet in France as a bit of French does in America. Truthfully, I don't know who goes there. With Chenonceaux little more than an hour further in the other direction, I don't get the charm of Sleeping Beauty's castle.

McDonald's seems successful. Of course I know a France without them and any growth is noticeable. I see then all over France and they're often crowded. Not infrequently, they operate a good sized sidewalk cafe and seem very integrated with the France I know. They tend to have a local student trade in many places. From afar the one on the pl. de l'Ancienne Comedie in Montpellier would appear to be the most appealing cafe on the plaza, at least until you realize it's a McDo.

BlackDuff, my firend lives near Bezier, close to the town of Pezenas. Toulouse is far more built up. In that aspect my friend is lucky. He has roads that are lightly traveled to use.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

BUX

My friend is also American but lives on the outskirts of Toulouse. His fall was not related to a car/bike situation. He's just got into a bad road situation and knocked himself out, along with eight teeth. He woke up in the hospital and didn't remember anything.

I live not too far from Bezier-right near Collioure. In fact I'll be riding to Collioure on the weekend with my bike.

BlackDuff

BlackDuff,

That's an area in which we find ourselves from time to time. We seem to be combining visits to our friends with visits to Bracelona and Catalonia. We've become very interested in Catalan food, both new and traditional. Collioure is a neat town. I guess it's been saved from over development by it's topography.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable