• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Syd's

John

My wife and I had lunch at Syd's in the Millburn Mall in Union today. It's been awhile since we've gone and we almost forgot how good the food really is. A little expensive, but I can't think of a better place to go for a reuben, club sandwich, hamburger, or hot dog. Not to mention excellent fries, milkshakes, club sandwiches, and onion rings. Everything we've ever had there is terrific. Originally in Newark, Syd's has changed owners a few times and moved to Union in 1967.

I'm a hot dog lover and many people believe Syd's makes the best hot dog in N.J.; therefore the world. They were picked as the best dog in Jersey by the Star Ledger's Munchmobile panel in 1998. They spent 2 weeks going to the top hot dog joints in the state; and Syd's was picked unanimously by the panel. This is a long 5 to a lb natural casing Best's product that is simmered in water till plump, and then char grilled. It has a good, unique spicing without overdoing it. A nice counterpoint to a porky, deep fried Rutt's Hut dog.

This dog is the best all beef dog around. At the least, one of the 3 best along with Father & Son, and Boulevard Drinks (same dog as Papaya King). But Syd's is bigger, with a softer casing, and has a great charbroiled flavor. Their burgers are made with fresh meat from a local butcher. Their reubens are the best I've tasted. And I've been to Katz's. If you are in the area, do not pass up this place.

John the hot dog guy

Hope you didn't have to travel far. The first time I went was also on a Sunday. Very disappointed to find them closed. And I live in the same town. Their hours are Mon thru Sat 10 or 11 o'clock to 7:45 PM

John the hot dog guy

Well I live in Verona but I think it was before/after a trip to the Union Flea Market. Bring back memories? Just kidding. Actually the Expo/Home Depot.

I still haven't been there yet. Will have to check it out.

My dad is from Passaic and my mom is Clifton so my roots are in Hot Grill/Rutt's Hut

My vote for luncheonette-type place is The Egg Platter, on the Clifton-Paterson border on Crooks Avenue. About 20 types of omelettes, great eggs, the best home fries ever, and old time ambience. They have weird hours: They are open all night, but close at 3PM and reopen at 10PM and open all night until the next afternoon.

Yeah, Clifton is a great place for hot dogs with Rutt's Hut and the Hot Grill; 2 of my top 5 places. The Hot Grill definitely has the best Texas Weiner chili sauce. Easily my favorite Texas Weiner. And Rutt's has those great rippers with the unique relish. Syd's is my favorite all beef kosher style dog; Galloping Hill Inn makes a great German style grilled beef and pork dog. Good, harder football shaped buns. And Charlies Famous makes the best Italian Hot Dog.

John the hot dog guy