• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I generally buy honey at my local farmers market. Most of the honey vendors at our markets will let you taste and compare their honeys and are usually quite happy to tell you about them.

Orange blossom honey is my default for a mildly flavored honey.  I buy cherry blossom honey at a cherry orchard and save that for "special" since I can only get it once a year when they are open for cherry picking. Its flavor is mild and quite delicate.  I like to keep buckwheat and/or avocado honey around for their stronger flavors. 

Edited to add that if the market is a certified California farmers market, the rules are pretty strict about about requiring vendors to verify that they grow or make what they sell so you shouldn't have to worry about imported honey.  Some markets have space for ancillary vendors but they should be clearly marked.  And then there are farmers markets that aren't certified and people can sell or re-sell all sorts of stuff.  I don't go to that type of market. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I generally buy honey at my local farmers market. Most of the honey vendors at our markets will let you taste and compare their honeys and are usually quite happy to tell you about them.

Orange blossom honey is my default for a mildly flavored honey.  I buy cherry blossom honey at a cherry orchard and save that for "special" since I can only get it once a year when they are open for cherry picking. Its flavor is mild and quite delicate.  I like to keep buckwheat and/or avocado honey around for their stronger flavors.