• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Opera

Lady T

You really want an enchilada party out in the garden in these temperatures...? Don't think I have a mole sauce up my sleeve hot enough to keep folks warm, ma'am...and the cilantro ain't growing too well right now in any case.

Awbrig and spouse do intend to be with us at Opera.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

You really want an enchilada party out in the garden in these temperatures...?  Don't think I have a mole sauce up my sleeve hot enough to keep folks warm, ma'am...and the cilantro ain't growing too well right now in any case.

Awbrig and spouse do intend to be with us at Opera.

Oh well, I guess we'll all have to stay inside and settle for you and DeAnn preparing some of those tasty pureed mango and prickly pear beverages. Your kitchen is certainly large enough to hold all of us. :rolleyes:

Quick blurb on OPERA from Citysearch...

I've already called to update the res. We are now six, and I'll be seeing folks over at Nine before we head over to Opera.

Remember, please, if we don't all meet at Nine: we need to be at Opera no later than 7:30! Those folks are hardcases about not seating unless the party is in fact complete.

See y'all there!

:biggrin:

-- 2/19/2004

Mike??????? It's a MONDAY and everything!

Awbrig. Funny, as ever. :angry:

Lady T, I was about to yell, "Crash cart, stat!" Then I was going to gel up the paddles, crank the juice, tell everyone, "Clear!" Then revive you, ER style.

What time for Nine? 6:30? And are we going to Ghostbar? I don't think I'm smooth and swank enough for that.

6:30's fine. I'm planning to hit the place between 6 and 6:15 to see if I can clear us some space and/or a place to sit down.

And Lordy, woman, if YOU aren't swank enough for Ghostbar, then there's zero hope for me, that's certain! Let's get there and see what's what and who's there, hmmmm?

:biggrin:

Edited by Lady T (log)

-- 2/19/2004

Same address as Nine: 440 West Randolph. Haven't been there myself, but I gather it's a "scene" sorta place. Oughta be fun to stick a nose in, just for the people-watching value alone.

-- 2/19/2004

From the Metromix review of Nine. I thought it was mildly amusing (must reconsider my wardrobe.)

"Already the restaurant is on the short list of the local trendanistas, who sportingly dress to the, um, nines in what at times seems like some ongoing game of chicken involving hemlines and necklines. On a particularly balmy weekend recently, there was enough skin on display to jump-start my uncle Harry, and he's been dead for 13 years. "

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

nine is, simply, beautiful.

Nineima1.jpg

Caviar Bar

Each mens urinal even has its own plasma tv screen with soothing scenes in which to gaze at while you're, y'know...

nine is quite the scene...

also the Ghost Bar is not open during the on Monday - it disappears during the week - hence Ghost Bar! heres a pic of the Ghost Bar...

Ghostima.jpg

Heres their website for even more info...

http://www.n9ne.com/home.asp

As far as Opera goes...it had a brief review in Chicago magazine and it sounds awesome and the Jerry Kleiner decor seems very wild! Should be a great time!

Edited by awbrig (log)

I've only been to Ghostbar on a Friday or a Saturday. I think I look OK. No matter, I had a great time. No Mondays, eh? Oh well, no peeking, Maggie and HH.

It's not as much about the bar as it is who you are when you go to the bar, and we're just fine. People and their skin be damned.

We will have a great time in the regular bar.