• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Opera

Lady T

Based on the description of Opera, the new Jerry Kleiner place, in the South Loop in the Ed Schoenfeld Q & A section, I'm planning to go try it out. Would anybody be game to accompany me ? I'm looking at the period directly after New Year's.

Takers?

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

The more the merrier!  Once we get past New Year's, we'll see if a date/time can't be set up to jive with your work schedule.

That means a Monday.

I'm free on Mondays. I'm in!

What days are looking favorable?

Okay...since I have a conflict on Monday, January 6th, that will leave the 13th, 20th, and 27th clear. Do any of those dates work for you, Mike? Any previously unknown conflicts for anybody else on those dates? Let's narrow it down and I'll phone in the reservation.

Awbrig? Bringing your ever-gracious missus? Mike? Ditto for The Handsome One, Maggie? Bringing a date, Aurora? I need to get the size of the party straight -- preferably the first time I call!

:cool:

Edited by Lady T (log)

-- 2/19/2004

Miss T: I have informed His Handsomeness that his presence will be required.

As we're refinancing the house, we should be able to afford it by then! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hmm. Metromix.com just posted a 3 star review of Opera. 

mike

We were at dinner at Ed Schoenfelds last night.

And we had pictures of Opera on the computer, the review on Metromix that will be in the paper Friday, and Jerry Kleiner the owner/designer and spirit and also Ed (consultant) all with us.

Opera looks sensational.

You must visit the private rooms. And report on what you think they could be used for. They are quite in demand I am told. And people are in love with Opera.

I have yet to see a restaurant in NYC that has such amazing design elements.

Jerry is a genius when it comes to creating stuff, too bad he is not doing any project in NYC... He always wants to... maybe soon he will.

If you all can think of a date.. and if it works with my schedule, I would love to fly in. Flights are inexpensive.. and Chicago is one of my favorite cities.

Okay...the roster is reading:

Yours truly, solo

Mikeczyz, solo

Aurora (bringing anyone?)

Maggiethecat and His Handsomeness

Awbrig (with missus?)

Possibly, if schedule and flight/fare can be made to work: Suvir Saran

That's a max of nine. So far.

The floor is now open: can we narrow down the date? Suvir? What looks possible for you?

:wink:

-- 2/19/2004

operashellfish1.jpg

one of the dishes at Opera - Tao of Shellfish: A pleasant assortment that includes a ceviche preparation of scallops and prawns, plus twin piles of mussels and clams, each steamed in sake. courtesy Phil Vettel

Edited by awbrig (log)

can we narrow down the date?  Suvir?  What looks possible for you?

i know we are all holiday crazed and busy, but I want to bring this back, Chicago folks. Post your possible dates and let's take it from there.

BTW: What the heck is the matter with us? :biggrin: The PNW people, to say nothing of the NY/NJ bunch, would have a thread six pages long by now!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

can we narrow down the date?  Suvir?  What looks possible for you?

i know we are all holiday crazed and busy, but I want to bring this back, Chicago folks. Post your possible dates and let's take it from there.

BTW: What the heck is the matter with us? :biggrin: The PNW people, to say nothing of the NY/NJ bunch, would have a thread six pages long by now!

As I said! Hellooooo...anyone around in the Greater Chicagoland area?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

im here, Im here,

Of course you are, my brother. But you have to be useful! What Mondays can you make it? Allison? Suggestions?

You can't get away with simply being the Chicago Tommy! :biggrin: (I'm kidding, I'm kidding!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Okay...the roster is reading:

Yours truly, solo

Mikeczyz, solo

Aurora (bringing anyone?)

Maggiethecat and His Handsomeness

Awbrig (with missus?)

Possibly, if schedule and flight/fare can be made to work:  Suvir Saran

That's a max of nine.  So far.

The floor is now open:  can we narrow down the date?  Suvir?  What looks possible for you?

I will be solo.

Therefore: a party of seven it will be.

Now: the three noted dates are January 13th, 20th, and 27th. Is there a preference (such a luxury!), or shall I simply make the call and take the date on which I can get the nicest table for seven?

Talk to me folks...I'd like to get that reservation in!

-- 2/19/2004

• 3 weeks later...

So be it, folks!

We have a reservation for a non-smoking party of seven at 7:30 p.m. (to allow folks a deep breath after work) on Monday night, January 27, 2003 at Opera. Opera is located at 1301 South Wabash Avenue in the South Loop, easily reachable from the Red Line Roosevelt Road L stop or by cab from downtown. Valet parking is available for $8 (before gratuity) for anybody who drives, according to Metromix. Street parking can be found, too, but I don't recommend it; neighborhood may be yuppifying, but it's still dicey.

I have made this res on my own nickel (albeit plastic!), in connection with which I'm going to mention that Opera's 'Guaranteed Restaurant Reservation' form says:

"Please be advised the party must be complete at the time of the reservation. Opera will release the table fifteen minutes after the reservation time if the party is incomplete."

Please, please please be timely, hmmm?

Give me a yell (here or by PM) if you have any questions. I am purely looking forward to this!

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: This joyous gathering of people who happen to be eGullet members is not sponsored by eGullet, and eGullet is in no way responsible for any individual or group mayhem we may cause in the process of having a total blast.

Edited by Lady T (log)

-- 2/19/2004

Thanks so much, Lady T.! Tomorrow I'll head to the mall, buy a calendar, and

this happy event will be our first order of business for the New Year.(Except for a dentist appointment, maybe?)

HH has been directed to arrange his schedule.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

That is an excellent time.

Did Trot--I mean "Awbrig" and his wife confirm yet?

Oh, and that reminds me, Rick--I mean "Lady T," what time are we to arrive at your house for the enchilada party (still LOL)?