• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boca di Dama For Passover

Shel_B

Hi,

A couple of years ago I had a Boca di Dama for Passover which was purchased at a nearby bakery. This coming Passover I'd like to make my own and would like to experiment with a few recipes. So, if anyone has a good Boca di Dama recipe (made with matzoh meal instead of flour, or directions to substitute matzoh meal in a flour recipe), I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Hmm, I've never baked one, but there is a Passover recipe for it here. Recipe looks good.

Personally, I would use cake meal over matzo meal. There are all sorts of formulas for converting flour to a combination of cake meal and potato starch but I always substitute straight cake meal for flour. A general rule of thumb I use is to use about 2/3 cup of cake meal to 1 cup of flour -- but that can vary on the recipe. Remember that matzo/cake meal has already been cooked and dried and it absorbs more liquid than flour.

I hope you let us know how your tests turn out. I might try one myself. :wink:

I've never baked one, but there is a Passover recipe for it here.

Personally, I would use cake meal over matzo meal.

I'm not much into baking, and I don't know what cake meal is. Can you help me out? What is it, where can it be purchased, and in what way is it different from matzoh meal?

BTW, I already have the recipe that was linked in the earlier message.

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Cake meal is basically the same thing, but it's a finer crumb. To me, matzo meal = breadcrumbs and cake meal = flour.

Do you have any Jewish/kosher food stores in your area? Generally that's the best place to go year-round, though it can be hard to find outside of the Passover season. Closer to Passover it's usually available in any grocery store that sells Passover items.

Matzo meal will give the cake a more gritty feel than cake meal. I haven't tried it (haven't had to), but I wonder if you could make the matzo meal finer by letting it go in a food processor for a while.