• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tequila/margarita mousse

QbanCrackr

i really want to make something similar to the dessert made on TC:Desserts (the margarita bombe), something with a real strong tequila flavor maybe a hint of lime (though that part can be played with, the main thing is to get a real nice tequila flavor ya know?)

i saw she made hers using a tequila creme anglaise + whipped cream stabilized with gelatin. is there a base or like a master recipe for a creme anglaise based mousse? i figure if i get a base recipe down, i can add flavors and whatnot to make it how i want

oh, and i need to get it for a friends party for saturday hehe :blink:

thanks!

DD

Danny

Here's the recipe from that challenge:

Citrus Tequila Mousse:

½ qt vanilla sauce

3 qt heavy cream

18 sheets gelatin

Tequila

¼ cup orange juice

¼ cup lime juice

½ cup sugar

Whip heavy cream to a soft medium peak. Warm the vanilla sauce, orange, lime & sugar then add gelatin till melted. Fold into the heavy cream.

Though I imagine this is the "home" version since I don't see a creme anglaise-

I really like this recipe for creme anglaise:

250ml milk

250 ml heavy cream

100 g sugar

4 yolks

milk and half sugar to a boil, temper into yolks and remaining sugar (that have been whisked together just prior) and cooked on low until nappant/desired thickness, strained. You could just add tequila to this, in the beginning (maybe 1-1.5 shots). But be sure to add the lime at the very end (after you strain) just to taste to avoid curdling the eggs-since lime is an acid. Then fold the stabilized whip cream!

Hope that helps!

yummmmmmy thanks! do they have recipes online?

whoa, 18 sheets of gelatin? i saw where to convert that into powdered gelatin on this site lol...time to do some math! =P

Should i convert it into knox 225 bloom or should i just go get some sheets? My local guy only has silver gelatin...worth it?

DD

Danny

http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/margarita-bombe-with-a-lime-cookie-tequila-mousse-amp-grand-marnier-creacuteme-brule

That is a huge recipe! 3 qt. cream? I would divide the whole thing by at least 3! I've personally only ever made mousse with sheets, not powder so I don't know how that would work out exactly! If you make a smaller recipe I think it would be worth it to get the sheets!

I'm not sure, maybe the vanilla sauce, or not enough tequila? If I were making it I would probably do a chocolate tequila mousse. Vanilla is generally a bit plain for a mousse (I think) since there's so much cream it gets a bit lost.

if you're interested here's a link

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/simply-delicioso-with-ingrid-hoffmann/chocolate-tequila-mousse-recipe/index.html

Or you could try:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Mexican-Desserts-Recipes-510/Mousse-de-Tequila-1132.aspx

which has quite a bit of tequila in it!