• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Left Coast Libations by Ted Munat & Michael Lazar

Chris Amirault

I just ordered Left Coast Libations from Ted Munat and Michael Lazar. (Click here for a Society-friendly link to Amazon.) I've been seeing very good reviews of the book around town, and as I don't have any "left coast" books in the library save the excellent Art of the Bar (Amazon link here; eG Forums topic link here), I took the plunge. The list of contributing bartenders is impressive and includes several folks from the under-appreciated cocktail community in Portland OR such as David Shenaut & Jeffrey Morgenthaler, at whose bars I've been honored to sit, drink, and learn.

Anyone got it? I'll report back when mine arrives.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Very interesting review from Erik Ellestad (eje here) on his blog:

The book, to me, captures a moment in time, about 2 years ago, when West Coast cocktail culture was on a bit of a roll. Bars and restaurants were popping up left and right with quality cocktail programs, the bartender was the new rock star, and the liquor industry hadn’t quite bought into the scene.

Everyone in this book, and quite a few others, were doing what they thought was something new. Re-inventing, or rediscovering, the cocktail for a very interested and enthusiastic audience.

[T]he moment seems to have passed, and the book feels a bit dated.

In particular, Erik wonders whether or not it's possible to get "back to basics" with the book:

I read through the book and the first thing I tried to do was find a recipe I could make.

First I discarded recipes that would require a ridiculous amount of prep work.

Then, I discarded recipes which called for St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, a.k.a. Bartender’s Ketchup.

Then, out went any recipes calling for “molecular gastronomy” ingredients like Maltose and Xanthan Gum.

At that point, I felt like I was left with some recipes which could stand the test of time, maybe didn’t even call for specific brands.

The list was pretty small.

Very interesting review that's worth the clickthrough to the full piece (as Erik's blog usually is).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts