• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halibut Sweetheart

BadRabbit

I just received a load of fish from Alaska (welovefish.com) and have quite a few "Halibut Sweethearts." For those who don't know (I didn't), this is essentially the same kind of cut as a salmon steak (i.e. a cross section of the fish).

I have never cooked with this particular cut and was wondering what suggestions there were on preparation. My initial thought is that this is a good cut for grilling.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

Are the steaks a manageable size (like mine below) approx. the cross-section of a bread loaf?

I like a gentle poach for pure alabaster halibut flavour, or coating them with dry herbs, etc. for blackening in a hot iron pan. Can't go wrong if they're fresh.

pix 055.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Yes. That's roughly the size. My wife doesn't usually like blackened (I love it) but that's a good idea. I do a crawfish cream sauce that I used to serve over blackened snapper that she might like. Maybe her love of cream and crawfish will get her past the blackening.