• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chewing My Blueberries

tino27

Had dinner tonight at a small bistro near where I live. For dessert they were offering macerated blueberries and raspberries topped with an ethereally light zabaglioni. Everything was great. The problem was the texture of the blueberries. They were really "chewy" or "pulpy". After a chew or two, the pulp kind of dried out and stuck to the side of my mouth. I had to "rehydrate" with a gulp of water.

I rinsed a single berry off with my water and tried the blueberry naked. I wanted to see if the berry was extra acidic (meaning that maybe it wasn't ripe). While I wouldn't call it sweet, it did have some sweetness to it. It also had the "chew" to it as well.

A friend of mine suggested that it either might be the varietal of blueberries the restaurant was using, or perhaps low rainfall this year took what would ordinarily be a wonderful fruit and rendered it just a bit pulpy.

Also, these blueberries were pretty fat, and I've had wild blueberries before, so I don't believe that is the answer to my question.

Any thoughts out there?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link