• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grapes

RichardJones

I have been a little baffled. Grapes might be my favourite fruit. They have a lovely texture and a subtle flavour. But I have never seen a single patisserie recipe which uses grapes.

Is it just because the flavour is not strong enough to carry in the presence of other ingredients?

Any thoughts?

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

Patricia Wells has a recipe for an Italian Winemaker's Grape Cake, but that's not a patisserie recipe.

The only other use I've seen of grapes in desserts is as part of the topping of fruit tarts or simple cakes with whipped cream icings.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Tuscan Wine Grape Pie Recipe - Schiacciata con l'Uva. You can Google it. I made it once. Interesting. I don't think I'll make it again. Probably needs particularly tasty grapes.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.