• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boqueria - 53 W. 19th St.

weinoo

I hadn't been back to Boqueria in a year or so, but last night a few friends and I found ourselves in the neighborhood and stopped in for a "quick bite" at around 9 o'clock. On a Monday we were seated immediately in the dining room; I doubt this is the case later in the week.

Almost everything we devoured, from the Pimientos de Padrón to the Buñuelos de Bacalao to the Croquetas Cremosas was well prepared and delicious (with imo, the lone exception being the lamb meatballs - I think the Meatball Shop has spoiled me). The fried items were perfectly greaseless yet molten inside - if you think the inside of a soupy dumpling or a slice of pizza fresh out of the oven will sear the inside of your mouth, wait until you try these. Maybe it was because the chef/owner was in the house - on a Monday, no less.

Now, there's no way this is a cheap bite. Most dishes are $10 or more and you need a few to even approach being full - I think our party of 3 ate about 8 or 9 plates - then again, we're not average when it comes to how much we eat. But, with food this good, I think I need to get back here more than just once a year.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I like Boqueria, but overall, I think that Txikito is more interesting and better executed. Neither is exactly cheap, though, and it's easier to get into Boqueria.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Bocqueria is on West 19th Street.

Having been there last night, and right up the block from Clover Club, I should have known that.

I like Boqueria, but overall, I think that Txikito is more interesting and better executed. Neither is exactly cheap, though, and it's easier to get into Boqueria.

While I can go with it being more "interesting," I don't know if things could have been better executed than they were at Boqueria last night.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I like Boqueria too. At lunch there's an incredibly inexpensive option that I'm a fan of - the pressed bocata (sandwich) served with patatas bravas and salad - the pan con tomate/manchego/jamon one is $9. Great deal, lots of food, delicious.