• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chat Thai

PhilD

I seem to be on a mission to eat in all the recommended Thai restaurants at the moment, but after four years in Europe we can't get enough.

Chat Thai is no bookings, you put your name and phone number on the list and they ring you, on a busy Thursday night we waited 30 mins, time enough to find a bottle shop as it is BYO. The place is nicely designed (it isn't a hole in the wall), with an open kitchen at the front where satays and grills are prepared. The place has quite a funky/trendy vide which is good.

Service was quick and efficient. You get a few menus to work through, one with some specials, but as this is laminated they are really permanent specials rather than "of the day". It is a pretty broad menu with lots of dishes I wasn't familiar with, I liked the variety and we did try a few new (to us) dishes. Overall we thought the cooking was as good as Spice am I, nicely authentic, but without the subtlety of the higher end thais. However you get what you pay for, here our meal was $55 which compares well with Spice am I, although Chat Thai has the edge on the decor and service.

We ate: Sai Qua, a really interesting sausage; Som Dtum, fresh and spicy with lots of dried prawns; Fresh Spring Rolls, very different to the Vietnamese version, these had smoked fish sausage, shredded chicken, and I think fish sticks in them; and Gaeng Panang Nuea, a well flavoured beef curry. More than enough food for two, some good new flavours and good authentic spicing.

Permalink | Report | Edit | Reply

I've been to Chat Thai once for a quick dinner. I was travelling through Sydney and didn't have time to get caught in the queues to eat there, so went at about 4.30pm and had the most delicious early dinner. Interesting menu.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."