• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris in October

scarlet knight

Commentator, from my personal experience, Les Ambassadeurs had approximately 40 seats; Les Elysees sat around that number; no tables turned. A quick google search indicates that Le Meurice seats 40 and Le Bristol 50. When I was last at Taillevent, a guesstimate would have been 90 + on the ground floor, not counting the action in the private rooms above. And yes, there were tables turning as well.

It is not just a matter of counting covers, it is also a matter of how well the staff, both kitchen and front-of-house, cope with a larger crowd. On my last visit, they were having an awful time of it. Overcooked meat, sauce drying and hardening on the plate, delivering by-the-glass wines after I had finished the course, etc. In many cases, the stress on the kitchen due to the number of covers does reflect on the quality of the food, and it certainly did during my visit.

Carlsbad, I must agree with you that in principle, the Lamennais Room is more comforting than the Trianon Room. Indeed, I had actually requested the Lamennais Room based on my prior visit. However, the seating configuration in the Lamennais Room appears to allow them to cram more people in when the need arises, whereas at Trianon, you actually have a full-sized round table to yourself and your party. On my last visit, in the Lamennais, I couldn't bear the din from drunken tables and large family groups so I had to ask to move outside.

I actually do enjoy Taillevent's style of food, but as in all things, execution is all-important. My problem is not the style but the execution on the night which was pretty poor. On my first visit (the restaurant was quite empty), I left thoroughly impressed by the food and the experience; on the second, completely underwhelmed.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

I can't say that I have actual experience of gourmet eating in Paris, however when I go to other places I do check out the website that I recommend to all and sundry as a basis for deciding where to go. Although a German site they also have an English version and the data is always up to date. Have a look at: www.Restaurant-Ranking.com. I trust you will find more than enough places to choose from.

Will post more when i have more time and am on an american keyboard, but ive also been to paul bert and itineraires this week. highly highly recommend both as well. paul bert is a bistro - i had steak frites that were to die for - and itineraires more upscale and refined, but extremely delicious.

• 3 weeks later...